What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Media for Sarracenia?

I currently grow VFT's in pure peat moss, and they're doing very well, but can I also grow Sarracenia in just peat moss? I've heard that different mixtures do best in different climates, and my climate is nearly identical to Bob Ziemer, who I think also grows his plant in just peat.

I've grown Sarracenia quite well in pure peat or long fiber sphagnum, in mixes also including quartz sand, and the pure evil that is perlite . . .

Just peat or 50/50 peat and perlite/sand is fine.

I've grown Sarracenia quite well in pure peat or long fiber sphagnum, in mixes also including quartz sand, and the pure evil that is perlite . . .

Yeah, I've come to hate perlite too. No matter how hard I compress my mix the first big rainstorm brings all of the perlite to the surface.

I have had good results in 50/50 peat/perlite for all of my sarracenia and vfts. I have not personally had as good of results with sand, but to each his own. It doesn't mean it isn't a good option, just not right for my environment where I need more of a fast draining media due to frequent rains during the early and late summer/fall months.

I like the perlite on the surface. It keeps the soil a bit cooler... at least in my mind. :)

Mine is a mix of sand and peat. topdressed with LFS.

mine is peat/sand/perlite, with peat being dominant. Also, the one nursery i buy from, uses: Peanut shells
THe bottom is composted, like dirt, but the top is peanuts. I can tell, theres small peanut shells down at the bottom making up the soil. i would reccommend this for a very experienced grower though./

I have grown my sarracenia in 1:1 Peat: Perlite, 100% live or dead Sphagnum moss, or just pure peat....

Yeah, I've come to hate perlite too. No matter how hard I compress my mix the first big rainstorm brings all of the perlite to the surface.

Packing it down won't help - the trick is to cover it with a few inches of peat or peat and sand. (And then never let the water level come up to the rim of the pot, unless you like to grow your plants upside-down.)
~Joe

I have a variety of mixes from peat/perlite/lfs to peat/sand/lfs or peat/perlite, they all seem to work just fine. I like the peat/sand mixes alot more for the same reasons that the above people dont really like perlite lol.

I have found S. leucophylla is actually quite content in a mixture of mostly fine sand.
I use a mixture of 2:1 (sand/peat)
However, what most people say the 50/50 always works and so does the peat/sand perlite. Experiment a little and see what you get ;)
Good luck and happy growing.

-Jack

ok, thank you every one for your answers!

I just bought 18 quarts of perlite and repotted 9 plants with a 50/50 mix of peat and perlite. This thread is making me hater decision already. And we're supposed to get flooding tomorrow.

I found this thread because I searched for peanut shells, because I found some in the pots I was repotting from.

People around here feed the squirrels and jays peanuts. I've spied jays trying to bury peanuts into some of my pots. I don't know why they do this but they do.

I have used a 1:1 compost of sphagnum peat moss to horticultural sand for several years, since I have a deep, abiding hatred of perlite. Also, that additional "ballast" of the sand prevents the otherwise top-heavy pots from tipping over in the wind . . .

Sarracenia leucophylla cv. "Titan" 2009

STITAN-1.jpg

Ugh. I hadn't even considered the weight in the wind. I'm so honked off. I have half a mind to redo everything. Maybe next year. Maybe if they blow over and half the soil falls out anyway. Heck.

I'm a fan of peat/perlite and have been using them for years with fantastic results. I also throw in a little New Zealand LFS pushed through a 1/4 inch screen. This combo with the perlite gives a nice airy mixture that allows a lot of oxygen to the roots. It's physically impossible for all of perlite to float to the surface even in a heavy rain. It's only the perlite NEAR the surface that becomes dislodged and floats up. If it bothers you, just remove it from the surface. I find that the peat/sand mixture becomes more compacted and doesn't allow water/oxygen to pass freely. Just my 2 cents.

Fred P, that makes me feel a little better. But wouldn't we be wanting carbon dioxide to reach the roots, not necessarily oxygen (obviously both are in air)?

Fred P, that makes me feel a little better. But wouldn't we be wanting carbon dioxide to reach the roots, not necessarily oxygen (obviously both are in air)?

To put it simply.... roots don't photosynthesize, so don't really require CO2. They metabolize, and thus benefit from having access to O2. Therefore, having a porous, aerated soil provides O2 for the roots and is beneficial for the plant.

I've used pure peat for some plants and it worked fine. I also strictly top water, so that may also play a part in the success.
In general, though, I like adding some perlite to the mix. Since my area gets hot summers, I usually add more peat than perlite in the media to increase water retention. Everyone is going to have a different mix that works for them.

To put it simply.... roots don't photosynthesize, so don't really require CO2. They metabolize, and thus benefit from having access to O2. Therefore, having a porous, aerated soil provides O2 for the roots and is beneficial for the plant.

Every day's a school day! Thanks. :)

Back