What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meadowview Preserve Expansions

Hi Folks:

We have good news on a number of fronts in pitcher pant land conservation. We now have two signed contracts from the landowners on both sides of Joseph Pines Preserve in Sussex County, VA. The land purchases will be funded by a grant from DEQ and a loan from the State of Virginia and will more than double our preserve to 234 acres. We hope to close on these purchases within the next couple months.

We're also about to close on another 15.7 acre addition to our Central VA Preserve (the Bass tract - see our 2009 newsletter for details).

What this means is we are not only securing the preservation of the northern most pitcher plant bog in Virginia but we are greatly expanding the scale of our preserves overall. This provides an incredible opportunity to see the last remnants of the pitcher plant community, in restored form, available nowhere else in the state.

Needless to say we need donations, and more importantly pledges, for land acquisition. Our upcoming newsletter will have the detailed financial issues discussed and I invite you to read about it at that time. But don't let that stop you from donating now. Even better, let others know about this effort and encourage them to donate to the land conservation by our non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.

We also hope you will come and visit and see firsthand what is going on. Perhaps consider an eco-vacation and help out with restoration efforts. Much of the past years work has been captured by former intern Graham Hunt in his inredible photo-documentary, available in the General Discussion area of TerraForums.

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan, Ph.D.
Director
Meadowview Biological
Research Station

I can't wait to visit Meadowview. I'll be stopping by this July on the way back from NC.

We look forward to seeing you! It'll be a highlight of your trip, guaranteed.
The Bass tract is already showing some interesting features that should only get more exciting once Spring comes around. Yesterday we found 2 bushes of mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia) (very rare in the area) and a small colony of cranefly orchids (Tipularia discolor). The orchids were on a fairly barren East facing hillside, which may hold more botanical rarities.

Cool! Where can I learn more about the eco-vacations?

That's awesome Phil :) I can't wait 'till I can visit and catch up on all the progress! Best of luck
Richard

Hi Foxoftherose:

Please send me an e-mail at meadowview@pitcherplant.org and we can discuss eco-volunteering. Basically you fill out a form, we check your references and background, and if you pass that we set up a period for you to come out and help. We typically provide room and board for the vacation.

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan, Ph.D.
Director
Meadowview Biological
Research Station

Approximately, how long does it take to go through the whole place ? It might make the difference whether or not we stay an extra night in the area.

Hi Cthulhu138:

Figure a couple hours touring the National Sarracenia Collection and greenhouse at Meadowview and another couple hours hiking the trail system.

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan
Meadowview

Back