What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

May I ask ho long a VFT can stay in deep water for?

I am planning to go away however I am a little worried about water loss.. while away I have increased the water level and reduce the pot's into more trays to obtain more water however, I just wonder how much depth of water these plants can handle & over what duration. Since if there a bog plant I would have thought that the water levels must rise and fall again throughout the year.

Many thanks Noddy

How long are you planning to go away? If only for a short while I'm sure your neighbor wouldn't mind watering your plant for you. if for a long time like a year... I recommend you to use mini bog and still have your neighbor check your plant once a while for you. because weather is very tricky, they can get hot a dry and dry your water in a day or 2, its best to have someone to water your plant for you.

i've filled up the water level to almost the surface of the soil before--and let the whole thing evaporate before adding again....it worked for me. could work for you.

Hi I am going away for 14 days ... so not too long but long enough.

Noddy

a deep dish watering tray might give you all the time you need. it's not too hot where you live right now, is it?

I've seen people grow them almost aquatically for a few years!

I thought VFTs hated wet-feet.

@brokken: i've grown VFTs both ways--tray method was fill up to the surface of the pot with cool water, then let it evaporate, wait a day or two, then repeat. now though for my B52, i just top water it. i've seen no difference so far. the only upswing by not using the tray method is the possibility that you would be able to keep the soil media longer as it will not become anoxic as quickly as the tray method. still going to repot after dormancy anyways.

Joseph said he has grown them more or less aquatically before.

One hypothesis is that Dionaea evolved away from sticky traps to snap traps because the coastal plains where they evolved were subject to periodic flooding.

They do pretty well in a planter. I top water on days when it doesn't rain.

Back