What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major VFT pest problem.

My traps were growing real great!

Until the moths came.

My house is old, and we've always had a problem with moths. I had read that moths rarely go at VFT's so i wasn't concerned! They all went downhill once my moth population increased. I got a trap, and now rarely find them around my plants.

Obviously, I could/probably am wrong because my plants still aren't happy with me.
Both of my traps are producing abnormally small leaves, and one of the plants leaves will loose its color.
I did see a ity-bity white bug walking around the crown of one of the plants. I've heard that Bayer Rose & Flower care is an ok pesticide to use.

Do any of you know what it could be, or if I should just try to treat it?

Thanks!

Well, it depends on what the "ity-bity white bug"s are. If they are springtails they are usually harmless although if there are excessive amounts of them it could be an indication that "something is rotten in Denmark". They live mostly on decaying matter so something must be feeding them if there tons of them.

Or they could be mites. Imidacloprid, the active ingredient in the Bayer spray can act like a hormone mimic that stimulates egg production in some species of spider mites. This can lead to a population explosion.

Some details on your growing conditions would be helpful - amount of light, temperatures, how often and what method used for water, water source (rain, tap, distilled, from reverse osmosis, etc.), poitting mix composition and so forth.

Is there any evidence of larvae from the moths damaging (chewing) the plants?

That.
Would be very unfortunate.

I have all of them right next to the window on a shelf. I also have a florescent bulb and a growth light as reinforcement. Typically, the lights stay on from ten to twelve hours. Temperatures range from mid-upper 60's to low 80's right now. I use the tray system, and only distilled water. For the traps specifically, its peat, and perilite. I wash out the trays so no unwanted organisms grow in there. I transplanted them at the beginning of the season so everything is supposedly clean.

And I don't see any chew marks.

Back