What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
Ok so this is one of those plants I had kind of forgotten that I have always secretly loved. (You guys know what I'm talking about*...) *Right?

After a wide search of the all the photofinder pictures of this species, and a quick scan of an old thread it appears that this plant either displays tremendous variation from plant to plant, or there is considerable amount of sanguinea or ramispina hybrid contamination.

Some of the pictures of this plant in cultivation appear to have, what I call, the awesome or spectacular features of what I, in my mind, consider to be what I would recognize as true macfarlanei.

Here are a few pictures, from cpphotofinder, used without permission.

This looks to be a wild specimen, with the desired patterning and voluptuous peristome shape near the junction of the lid.

macfarU1893.jpg

And here is a plant in cultivation showing those same features.

uh-.jpg

Now here is a plant from the wild that looks somewhat different This plant seems to have a less pronounced peristome feature and looks more elongated than squat like the first two.

nepdanset4ll1.jpg

And this plant...

12.N_macfarlanei_1.jpg

And then these plants that are in cultivation:

macfarlaneiurneinfavril20060dq.jpg

dsc07976.jpg

Anyway my point is, and my question:

Do you think the majority of the differences you see in those plants is from just genetic variance, or a matter of hybridization?

I personally think it looks like some macfarlanei hybrids made it into cultivation.

For those of you that grow macfarlanei, what do you think, and what do your plants look like?

I'm not asking for a name or anything in compliance with the forum's rules, but is there a supplier that is known to carry consistently what is thought of as what I will call "true macfarlanei"? (yes or no)

If anyone grows them and has some pics to spare or share, lets see 'em!

Hey dex, I've seen wild macfarlaneis once and it was in genting highlands...The form i saw was the 1st 2 pictures which has rounder pitchers...Though in another place there are different forms which look similar to the last few photos...I don't think its a hyrbid but maybe just a variance

That's awesome Kent. Thanks for the info. Now I wonder if there are any suppliers who carry exclusively the tubby form.... I really would like to get one of these plants but only if it had the tubby, exaggerated form.

Here is mine....I always suspected it might be mac x sang though....

Nmacf_10-29-10.jpg

That's a very pretty plant exo, thanks for sharing!

but yeah the size and shape of the peristome... just doesn't add up

This is mine which was bought from a good friend. One of my unforseen favourites. Beautiful color. I love white pitchers.

5210386176_c666f951ac_z.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favorites as well.
Mine is a wistuba clone.

N.%20macfarlanei.jpg

bill

Excellent pitchers guys! Those look like the real deal for sure. Thanks for sharing

Back