What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
Okay, so I had an idea that would be pretty cheap and it would make a pretty piece for my room. Basically what it would be is a 10 gallon fish tank paludarium. It would have a mound of sphagnum going around on all sides and a big puddle in the middle. The puddle would go about 1/3 of the way up the tank and the sphagnum would go up about 1/2 the way. I would put live sphagnum (I have boatloads since my cultures grew) all the way around on the mound of dead sphagnum. In the bottom of the water would be a thin layer of sand. I may also have sand going around the sides up to where the water meets the air. I have everything I need to do all of that on hand. Another option of layout would be to make the left side of the tank land and the right side water, so then I could stick a hang-on-back aquarium filter on the side and have the water sucked up and waterfalled back in, but that would be noisy. Suggestions?

What I need help with is picking one or two (two max) Nepenthes to put in the tank. I guess the requirement would be a shallow root system so they don't drown themselves. So maybe a bog Nepenthes. The other thing is that the plant needs to be able to cope with 60s-70s in the night and 70s-80s in the day -- the lower end of the given during winter and the higher end during summer. Maybe something that would grow more slowly OR something that starts vining super quick so I can make it go everywhere around the terrarium.

Any suggestions? I'll find out what kind of water plants can be half-submerged that are good for paludariums and I'll stick them in the water. I'll also have to pick up a glass hood to put over the tank so I can set the light on there and keep the humidity in.

Mirablis is a good bog plant for ya. It Wouldn't really mind the water but expect some slow growth during the winter. Also I've been wondering how are your HLers doing?

Mirablis is a good bog plant for ya. It Wouldn't really mind the water but expect some slow growth during the winter. Also I've been wondering how are your HLers doing?

Thanks! That's actually one I want. :-O

Don't mind the slow winters, as it should quickly outgrow a 10 gallon with only like 8" of growing space, LOL!

I'm about to post another update in that thread and I'll try to make a video today. ;)

I think Ampullaria would do amazing. I have one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHVpPKkZLs8&feature=plcp

The water level is only an inch or two from the surface of the tank.

Maybe N. Ampullaria "Lime Twist" would look cool

Aight, good to get a second opinion. Now I just gotta find one. ???

Last edited:
I agree with the above, I think the ampullaria would be a great plant for this. Mine loves it wet, and it's a 'Lime Twist.' Great form of the species.

I agree with the above, I think the ampullaria would be a great plant for this. Mine loves it wet, and it's a 'Lime Twist.' Great form of the species.

Ooooh okay... Well I haven't been able to find Amps before so maybe I'll start looking harder... XD

I used to have one for my lowland neps consider a large clear moving tote.....much larger and cheaper than a fishtank. not sure if my setup would help u but I put some water in it to generate humidity.....rainwater mostly but will use distilled in a drought. I put like "eggcrate" or light diffuser in it to give the pots something to stand on. I put all the pots inside of a an individual plastic bowl not to water but to isolate the pot water from the terrarium water. Also have a uv sterilizer to kill algae, a slow flow circulation fan, an exhaust fan and a 4 inch hole in the top for general ventilation. I use one of those pond foggers for sick humidity but even without it the evaporating water will generate 75-80% on it's own.

far as temp, I have a submersible tank heater for when it gets colder. I have tried it and it works well...just get one with a programmable thermostat and you will be set. I like the submersion method(as i call it) for lowlanders.....very easy/cheap solution for humidity control. Speaking of which the fishtank pump is not such a great approach......the water splashes everywhere and will end up soaking your media.

an old pic but gives you a visual

102_0050.jpg

I am using my old fishtank as a temporary holding cell for some intermediates to be shipped. Not a very good pic but may try to get u a better one. In my experience most lowlanders will do well above 70 and can tolerate temps around high 50's but wouldn't recommend it.

102_0093.jpg

Lastly, in my experience lowlanders need adequate light but are tolerant of lower light, adequate temps but can tolerate a range, adequate soil watering. Too much and you may at the least invite pest and at the most cause root rot. Too little and at the least you actually stimulate the roots to grow more and at most kill the plant but again the plant is tolerant of the overwatering for a period measured in days possibly weeks and underwatering for a period measured in not very long. lol........humidity however is what it NEEDS.......85% seems to be the sweet spot for me. lowlanders are not very tolerant of low humidity...not to say they cannot be acclimated to live in lower humidity but low humidity will certainly make the plant suffer and die very quickly.

Back