What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for S. flava/S. alata Pollen

Hi Everyone. My S. flava has sent two flowers, but in-line breeding isn't good so I am looking for Sarracenia flava and Sarracenia alata pollen of all varities. I will sne some pollen once they fully open. I also can store pollen if any one else wants to trade. I am looking for anything not on my growlist)(not my gigantic wantlist!) I also want to know how to package and store pollen and how long is its shelf life. Thanks and the the plant is S. flava var. cuprea/ coppertop

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-pollinating Sarracenia plants usually produces lots of viable seed, that may produce plants with a little less vigor and less variation, than perhaps a cross-pollination between different species or color variations of the same species.

Wow your flowers openned early! Mine are still growing! What part of Cali are you from (north/south)? I live in the north. Anyway info from the Savage Garden tells you to use wax paper or aluminum foil type material. Wax paper being the easiest to get the pollen off of. You could store it in the freezer to add a little length in it's life but is best if used asap.

I am from SoCal and may save a flower and pollen to self pollinate. Thanks

I am from SoCal and may save a flower and pollen to self pollinate. Thanks

Mine are about 3 weeks away from flowering. As you probably know: sarracenia are protogynous (the pollen matures just before the ovaries become receptive) so you'd be better at donating pollen than getting it for fertilization. It appears that you have quite the sarracenia collection though. You'll probably end up having other flowers before others can get pollen out your way. :)

BTW: Who did you get your "Adrian Slack" from?

Mine are about 3 weeks away from flowering. As you probably know: sarracenia are protogynous (the pollen matures just before the ovaries become receptive) so you'd be better at donating pollen than getting it for fertilization. It appears that you have quite the sarracenia collection though. You'll probably end up having other flowers before others can get pollen out your way. :)

BTW: Who did you get your "Adrian Slack" from?

I believe thats on his want list.

Back