What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LF: Sphagnum pics!

Hello!

A few of you might remember when I started a page that I called "The Sphagnum Photo Page". So, I am looking for photos of Sphagnum in cultivation, or in the wild.

Here's what I originally posted. :p http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127812&highlight=sphagnum+moss+photo+page

Hey everyone!

I thought it would be interesting to add a "Sphagnum moss photo page" to my website. Mainly just sphagnum in cultivation. I was originally going to only post photos of my sphagnum moss, but it's not the best example of how it can really be grown in cultivation.

Here's what I have to far.

Voice your opinions, please!

Thanks!

*edit

I was thinking that, whenever there are some nice pics of Sphagnum on here or any other forum, I would ask permission and post them on the page. And of course I would say who's pictures they are in the captions of the photo on the page.

If you've got some pics, feel free to post em'!

Thanks for taking a look.

I'll post some when I can. I have a few species in cultivation.

Wish I had these IDed but I'm no bryologist...I haven't taken pics of anything in my pots though.

IMG_2865.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

So, I am looking for photos of Sphagnum in cultivation, or in the wild.

Here are two pictures of cultivated Sphagnum in my mini-bogs.
So it is outdoor cultivatiod Sphagnum. Photos have been taken by the end of July, 2010.

Sphagnum_sporophytes1.jpg

The interesting in these photos is, that they show some kind of "seed capsules". In fact, Sphagnum is not flowering and sets no seed, but those are indeed "sporophytes" in which huge amounts of spores for reproduction are growing during summer. These sporophytes grow if it is the right season and if the weather conditions are right. So sporophytes will not become visible each year.

Sphagnum_sporophytes2.jpg

The sporophytes have a small cap at first. In the macro photo you can see two sporophytes still having their caps. On a sunny day, the cap pops off due to overpressure and the spores are shoot out and scattered around.

As I have heard, not only the leaves in their macro and micro structures define a Sphagnum species, but also the sporophytes are different from species to species, so they can be used for species identification.

I think I have a mix of at least two different Sphagnum species in my mini-bogs, but I have no clue about the species.

@Jpappy: Thanks!!

@Wireman: I really like that sphagnum. The bright green is what I've been looking for. Thanks for the pics!

@Jesse: Very nice macros and great information. Thank you very much. :)

No problem. I need to go find my in situ photos. S. compactum looked very golden when we found it. The Newport News Sphag is that color in situ, very easy to spot. S. molle on the other hand, that's both green and red with proper light.

That would be awesome Wireman. Thanks.

I uploaded all of the pictures. Thanks again everyone. I'm still on the look out for more. :)

:laaa: That is AWESOME!! Thanks!

Hey Devon, I saw you updated the site...looks nice! I forgot to mention the pics I took were from Bete Grise Reserve, Keweenaw County, MI.

Here is another one, photo taken in the wild, so the Sphagnum is a little bit contaminated with sedges and Drosera rotundifolia:

Sphagnum_red_in_Denmark.jpg

As there are only a few red Sphagnum species, I think it's Sphagnum rubellum, but I'm not sure about.

The photo had been taken in the area of Midtjylland, Denmark. This sphagnum was growing on a south facing slope in a headwaters source region. I think the location in Northern Europe helps much to grow this species in such a nice red: Low temperatures in northern summers, and many hours of sunshine during summer because of the high latitude towards the Polar Circle.

I don't have red sphagnum in my own mini-bogs, but as I have heard from other growers in Germany, even in outdoor cultivation the red type sphagnum does not grow as red as it does in nature.

Jesse, wait until you see Sphagnum magellanicum for the Southeast, US! It's even redder than S. rubellum. I'll put some more Sphagnum photos up here soon.

Wow nice red sphagnum! It looks like it would make great nepenthes seed media with its compact structure.

It would be great for seed germination. I've been finding a lot of compact growers lately. S. compactum is even more compact. We didn't even think it was Sphagnum when we first found it.

Back