What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learning to macro

• Thread starter mass
  • Start date
Snapped a few quick pics this morning. Just playing around a bit more. Unfortunately my battery won't hold a charge, so I'm very limited on playtime.
I desperately need a tripod and battery for my remote. But my next lesson here is lighting/flash. As you can see..

IMG_7310.jpg

IMG_7303.jpg

IMG_7302.jpg

IMG_7301.jpg

IMG_7300.jpg

IMG_7299.jpg

IMG_7298.jpg

IMG_7297.jpg

IMG_7297copy.jpg

IMG_7296.jpg

Thanks again for the gypsi Andrew.. it's doing very well.

IMG_7283.jpg

IMG_7280.jpg

IMG_7279.jpg

Ooohh! Nice! I really like the paradoxa ones, and the last pic!

Amazing pictures. So much sparkle... :3

Very nice! :clap:

Very nice.
Lighting is key! I had cut the arm of a sundew and taking pictures of it, since I was on such a low shutter speed, the pics came out blurred because the arm was wilting. And since you are so up close, the slightest movement blur everything. Just a tip.:D
What lens are you using?

Practiced my focal point a little this evening..

IMG_7331.jpg

But then my battery started dying, so I just started snapping pics real quick.

D. allantostigma

IMG_7349.jpg

D. erythrorhiza ssp. squamosa (Albany Hwy)

IMG_7350.jpg

N. veitchii K

IMG_7351.jpg

Great start! I love macro photography. Lighting is sooooo important. Small aperture, bright light, a solid tripod, remote shutter if you can, and you're set!

Thanks. I need a brighter light. The one I used tonight with the new light box I made just wasn't bright enough. I did go and check out tripods today though!

try angling your light sources from the side, instead of front or behind you...that will take your shadow out of the pic...

try angling your light sources from the side, instead of front or behind you...that will take your shadow out of the pic...

I was doing it from straight above. It's just a hanging light, no clamp. But I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:
I use a clamp light with a daylight spectrum CFL for most of my photos if I can't use the sun. It works just as well as any flash. You may want to get a new battery, that will help a lot. I can't tell you how many times I've run out of battery while doing fieldwork. Different thing, but same relevance.

I want one.. just don't have the $70 to invest in a new battery.

Thanks for the light tip btw.

Same here, it's frustrating looking at prices. Even the off brands are expensive.

No problem. That's how I light all of my sculptures when I photograph them. It's cheap, simple, and effective.

Back