What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

late to hamata ? clone 1, 2, 3, 4,

uphwiz

jimmy
Im just to the hamata frenzy, would like to add one of these guys to my collection, any ideas on which clone , and if i even would have a choice in the matter? are all the clones equally beautiful? ive noticed clone one , will probably be the hardest to come by.
Also ive only seen a pic or two of clone two, and several of clone one:0o: wowiee, but ive yet to see clone 3 and 4, any one have these clones, and pictures of them? any advise , anyone ?:blush:

Clones 1-4 come from AW. But all of the major suppliers have hamatas like BE and MT. There are even seed grown hamatas from BE? that have been available in the recent past that from what I can tell are the red hairy version which have been hardest to come by until recently.

Clone 1 is the most widely available from AW. I think because it is the most popular of the clones. But I have heard that all of the AW clones look pretty much the same.

I only have the AW Clone 1, and I have a BE clone coming as soon as it warms up. But I have no idea what it looks like compared to the AW clones.

Hope this helps.

IIRC Tony had said some years back that the red was not stable and after they matured a bit they turned dark like the rest. Maybe someone has a mature red form now but that was the consensus when I was going to buy a red to go with my 'typical' hamata.

Regardless what clone you get it's an awesome plant and grows quickly from 4" diameter on up if it's happy with your conditions.

The majority on the market that you find from TC are from G. Lumut. Most are green with the dark purple blotches and dark peristome. A few were green with some reddish/purple veining which also got a reddish/purple flush to the pitcher as they got older. I think what Swords is referring to is that when young some of the G. Lumut N. hamata can have alot of red/purple coloration on the pitcher besides the purple blotches. From what I have seen this lessens as the plants grow larger towards maturity.

The red hairy one is a different form entirely with no purple blotches. These are buggers to grow..

The recently introduced seed grown N. hamata from BE is yet another form. These have a bit of fuzz on them but with colors more like the G. Lumut types.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

Sorry I can't answer your question on the Wistuba clones since I don't currently grow any. But is there anything such as an ugly N. hamata? hehe

Hmm then that's new - and I shall need one of each! :D

I too am interested if there is any variety in the AW clones. I am definitely thinking about making an order with him in the very near future...

The recently introduced seed grown N. hamata from BE is yet another form. These have a bit of fuzz on them but with colors more like the G. Lumut types.

Ah, good to know. I do like the seed grown forms I have seen released recently. Many of them are fuzzy and the leaves can be very red.

You are right, I don't think I have ever seen an ugly hamata. Or perhaps, that is what makes them so endearing. :)

upwhiz,

Here are pics of Clone 1 from AW and the clone available from BE. I just got the BE clone today so I can't really give you much more info than the picture.

BE Clone
hamatabeclone.jpg

AW Clone 1
hamata.jpg

I can't wait for my hamatas to pitcher, and the others I'm waiting for to get here!

You won't be dissapointed. Once they acclaimate, they really seem to take off.

I'm hoping I don't lose the pitcher my new one came with. I'm not a big fan of bagging, I just plop them in with the rest of my neps. My Clone 1 sulked for a while and put out small leaves with small pitchers. There may have been other factors involved such as high light, feeding, etc. But it is putting out larger leaves with inch and a half pitcher now.

dashman , do you grow all your neps in nice pots like the yellow one aw clone 1 is in ? is that ceramic and do neps do well in these , i like the look, a little tired of all green and black plastic, but am afraid i wouldnt have luck with the other kind,my plants all seem to like the plastic

No, I am too cheap for that. That would cut into plant money to spend on a ceramic pot. I like the cheap plastic pots. I even use the water dishes from lowes as pots because that is the cheapest thing I can find. :)

The yellow pot is just a flimsy little plastic pot that vegetables from the nursery come in. Tomatoes in this case.

PS: That is the BE clone in the yellow pot.

would love to have one of these just cant bring myself to place the order, it is extremely difficult to place an order and pay so much, only to have to wait and see when you might be getting the plant, weeks months years?Where did you folks get the patience :-( hm? Hamata Hamata Hamata
Ive been staring at a order page for days now , i guess i have to order one to get on this great list, or my wait will never be over.:crazy:LOL

uphwiz, seems like you should just go ahead and order so you stop being obsessed with ordering.

I'll tell ya what I did, I'd make an order now(Jan - Mar) and then in summer I'd receive my plants and make another order, usually I could get two orders in one shipping season with the second one arriving in Oct/Nov. It's a wait but worth it to get rarities. If you don't order it you may never get one (or pay 5x the price stateside) so those are the options! LOL

AFIK you do not pay (card isn't charged) until the plants arrive stateside at the US agent anyway, they just take your card # as insurance on payment of the order. Or did defer charging until shipping in years past....

Listen to the little devil on your shoulder: "Do it... order it!" :D

swords: I think I've gotten charged right at ordering for this spring's shipment, so that may have just changed.

Personally, I would rather pay now with the EUR/USD exchange rates the way they are.
AUD/USD (Austrailia) was better last year though. Better if you were paying with dollars that is.

Of course, no one can predict the future. But I wouldn't be surprised if EUR/USD has a correction in the coming months after all of this Greece mess clears up. Then again, perhaps it is just the tip of the iceberg. Who knows... not me. :)

and if the euro to dollar changes in the next few months , after you place an order, do they charge the new rate, or the rate from when you placed the order??
could it end up costing more than first advertised.

if you use credit card its the rate at the time the card is actually billed, if you use paypal then its when you complete the paypal transaction

if you want todays rate use paypal... but if your order has to be cancelled due to lack of stock, you will be refunded via paypal at a future date and future exchange rate (been there and done that with AW) so you can actually lose a little money and not have the plant

caveat, ordering now does not hold the plant for you

Jimmy,

youre stressing yourself out mate, do it and be done with it
first time is the hardest, when you have that new hamata in your hand you will have that warm and fuzzy feelin inside ;)

Im in the order is done ,:poke: thanks for all the advise everyone,:poke: and for putting up with my nagging

Back