What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kinjie's pics

looking great man

For my tastes it's the Veitchii K and the tm. Very nice, Kinjie.

sorry looking back to page one that Seed grown N. lowii is one of the neatest looking nepenthes i have ever seen

I really enjoy that species and am glad I'm able to grow it Barclay!

@Scott (jawn) thanks man.

@Mark(Bluemax) I'm glad you like.

I gave my eymae x x TM to Mat for his birthday. Kind of wish I would've kept it now.. lol.
Looks like great potential in the making. Nice plants..

I gave my eymae x x TM to Mat for his birthday. Kind of wish I would've kept it now.. lol.
Looks like great potential in the making. Nice plants..

Thanks for the compliments Mass! I'm really starting to see why Eymae and TM are in soooo many crosses.

I think with a giveaway like that you always have rights to go back to Mat and get a cutting when its ready.

My birthday is coming up and man I really like that N. veitchii x lowii you have:). I promise to give it a good home!

Just reading through your thread again, Kinjie. This time it's somewhat amusing to see the comments people were making in order to refute the authenticity of your N. hurrelliana. I have seen the lowers of the original plant this cutting came from, and I can tell you all that it is the true species as far as taxonomical descriptions go. The plant has the distinguishable hairy appendage under the lid, which is not something you will find on other species it could be confused with. The body does not look like fusca, but more mottled with longer wings, similar to maxima. The upper sides of the leaves, pitchers, and stem are covered in coarse indumentum. The rear of the peristome rises abruptly.. I didn't see the inflorescence, but everything else satisfies the morphological description, at least superficially.

I'm all for the debate, but basing an argument on one picture from google images that compares one lower pitcher of three different species will not hold up. The same specious argument seems to be waged against the macrophylla in cultivation, excluding the obvious mix-ups that occurred. People have an idea of these superbly exaggerated morphological differences based on a few pictures that tend to circulate more than others. Phenotypic plasticity, epigenetics, mutations, it will all vary from individual to individual, particularly when the plant is in a different environment or grown from seed. What limited resources we have to work with should be taken from the literature, not exclusively cpphotofinder.

Stunning pitchers! Very nice clones my friend ! :)

Glad to amuse you mat. I'm not up for the debate though, since I really don't care. I'm over it..
I have my opinions and I'm stickin' to it.

My birthday is coming up and man I really like that N. veitchii x lowii you have:). I promise to give it a good home!

I totally would, but I already made a little pillow for it so it can be comfortable in my casket with me.
The first basal/off-shoot however, has your name all over it.

Last edited:
Just reading through your thread again, Kinjie. This time it's somewhat amusing to see the comments people were making in order to refute the authenticity of your N. hurrelliana. I have seen the lowers of the original plant this cutting came from, and I can tell you all that it is the true species as far as taxonomical descriptions go. The plant has the distinguishable hairy appendage under the lid, which is not something you will find on other species it could be confused with. The body does not look like fusca, but more mottled with longer wings, similar to maxima. The upper sides of the leaves, pitchers, and stem are covered in coarse indumentum. The rear of the peristome rises abruptly.. I didn't see the inflorescence, but everything else satisfies the morphological description, at least superficially.

I'm all for the debate, but basing an argument on one picture from google images that compares one lower pitcher of three different species will not hold up. The same specious argument seems to be waged against the macrophylla in cultivation, excluding the obvious mix-ups that occurred. People have an idea of these superbly exaggerated morphological differences based on a few pictures that tend to circulate more than others. Phenotypic plasticity, epigenetics, mutations, it will all vary from individual to individual, particularly when the plant is in a different environment or grown from seed. What limited resources we have to work with should be taken from the literature, not exclusively cpphotofinder.

Thanks Mato and I appreciate your opinion as well as your expertise!

As far as Im concerned It is water under the bridge. People are entitled to there own views and opinions as I'm sure that's why we're all here.

Last edited:
@maiden, thank you for your kind words!

I totally would, but I already made a little pillow for it so it can be comfortable in my casket with me.
The first basal/off-shoot however, has your name all over it.

I'm holding you to that:). Very very nice plant Travis!

Thanks. It's actually working on it's first pitcher under the Michigan sunlight right now. Keep an eye on POTM this month or next.. we'll see how it's turns out.

I know youre a big nepenthes fan but was hoping to see some of your sarracenia here

Thanks Mato and I appreciate your opinion as well as your expertise!

As far as Im concerned It is water under the bridge. People are entitled to there own views and opinions as I'm sure that's why we're all here.

So.. this morning I began a conversation with one of the largest growers/collectors in the US. I've based my opinion on the presence of this species in the US partly on his collection. I'm embarrassed to say, I've been following the belief of,"If he doesn't have it, then nobody does." Which is pretty close minded and ignorant, I know..
Anyways, this person shared the fact and proof that N. hurreliana is INDEED in the US. I know my personal opinion is often the spark that ignites the fire of debate around here. I've been trying to work on that, but guess I just need to keep my opinions to myself. As this (and many other topics) have shown me. It's just a personality flaw, plain and simple.
On to my point,.. I owe you two an apology (mat & kinje). I no longer doubt the validity of your plants, and I really do feel bad for my multiple public rants about their true identities. I know, I know.. I suck and nobody cares what I think. Regardless, I felt an apology was in order. At least I can man up, admit I was wrong, and apologize.

As for the plants, there appears to be quite a bit of variation in the species. I was shown a plant with great coloration and pitcher markings, then another of equal size that lacked in both categories. Though there was no mistaking that either was indeed N. hurreliana.
At any rate, I honestly look forward to future updates as both of your plants progress.

Last edited:
Nice veitchii k!

So.. this morning I began a conversation with one of the largest growers/collectors in the US. I've based my opinion on the presence of this species in the US partly on his collection. I'm embarrassed to say, I've been following the belief of,"If he doesn't have it, then nobody does." Which is pretty close minded and ignorant, I know..
Anyways, this person shared the fact and proof that N. hurreliana is INDEED in the US. I know my personal opinion is often the spark that ignites the fire of debate around here. I've been trying to work on that, but guess I just need to keep my opinions to myself. As this (and many other topics) have shown me. It's just a personality flaw, plain and simple.
On to my point,.. I owe you two an apology (mat & kinje). I no longer doubt the validity of your plants, and I really do feel bad for my multiple public rants about their true identities. I know, I know.. I suck and nobody cares what I think. Regardless, I felt an apology was in order. At least I can man up, admit I was wrong, and apologize.

As for the plants, there appears to be quite a bit of variation in the species. I was shown a plant with great coloration and pitcher markings, then another of equal size that lacked in both categories. Though there was no mistaking that either was indeed N. hurreliana.
At any rate, I honestly look forward to future updates as both of your plants progress.

Apology accepted Mass, I appreciate you getting on here and commenting publicly and you are def welcome to your own opinion! I try and value people's opinions wether right or wrong so no hard feeling.

Thanks,
Kinjie

Back