What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just wondering...

Ok, I am just curious and have to ask:  Would you grow carnivorous plants if they were not carnivorous?   My honest whole hearted answer would probably be no  
confused.gif
.  Even though I hardly ever feed my plants, and it is probably not the best reason for liking any plant the main reason that draws me to them is their carnivorous nature. I know for many of you that collect neps and orchids, the answer will be yes.

for me, the answer is yes, I think. I don't feed them that often, and sometimes I forget that they are carnivorous...
wow.gif
Well, I might not have started growing them if they were not carnivorous, if they weren't, I would have never heard of them

EDIT: Ok, i have too be honest, iw ould have never started growing them if they were not carnivorous (My answer is pretty much exactly the same as sundewds)

I probably would, at least some of them, most of these plants are just beautiful. I can honestly say I would like to grow sundews even if they were completely sublime. (I'm getting my first ones soon and I just cant wait yippieeee) Many of the Sarracenia pics I've seen are just stunning. But I also have to admit it was the carnivorous nature that first attracted me to them.
wink.gif

Steve

Honestly, a nepenthes without its pitcher would look like a tropical weed. This probably goes for most other cps, besides pings and utrics, which have wonderful flowers
wink.gif

I can't even imagine what a sarr would look like without any pitchers.
I would still be growing my pings and utrics.

Their carnivorous nature first attracted my interest, but their beauty caught me. That and the fact that they are one of God's ingenious creations. They are made to survive and do so in the most wonderous of manners.

My story:

My granddad came from China to Singapore in the 1930s. He brought a nep home for his sons when he cleared the forests on an offshore island (now known as Sentosa) to build houses in the 1960s.

I lived in the same house and knew as a young child that the place where the fish tank was, was previously occupied by a nep. I never saw the plant but I know it's a rafflesiana from my dad's description. The pitchers was at least 8 inches long.

So I guess, it's fate...I liked neps eversince my dad started talking about the "pig's cage grass". That's what neps are called in chinese.
smile.gif

I am a plant person, and have always been interested in cultivation of exotica. Like everyone else, the carnivorous natue of these plants caught my interest early on, but it is not why I grow them now. I set out to grow every bit of exotica I could obtain, so it is safe to say that I would want the plants even if they didn't chow down on bugs :)

My answer is yes I would still grow them. I am a plant person also. I grow many other plants other than CPs. The carnivorous factor is fascinating but they are still beautiful plants aside from their unique capabilities. As with most people I started with a VFT because they were interesting but it quickly became about the plant and not about the carnivory (I don't really get off on the "it eats bugs!" thing).

They are all beautiful to me and I love all my CPs but them 'dews still get me in the heart.
smile.gif

Suzanne

A CP without its carnivorous structures would seem rather dull. Like CP2K said, a Sarr/Nep/Ceph/Heli with no pitchers would be boring. A vft with no trap, a sundew with no dew, that would suck
wink.gif
CP's are interesting because of their unique trap structures. I also grow many other types of plants, but I have one requirement, they must have some unique or weird characteristics.
smile.gif

If they are deprived of their sources I doubt I would collect cps(no pitchers on a nep or sarrs, no traps on a vft, and so on). It would be a boring plant...But if nothing changed and the plant did not eat insects I am pretty sure I would have a few
rolleyes.gif
. Like CP2K and Larry mentioned they need to be different. That is why I own zero flowers, zero vines, and so on...I do love plants just the odd ball ones! I do enjoy flowers and such but they will not be taking up room in my home
biggrin.gif

Travis

I like to grow all plants. especialy indoor plants that make you feel like you are below the canapy of a forest like when you are packed into a jisnt greenhouse and you cant even see the sides because there are so many plants. If it wasn't for the love of the average plant than I think I would have never stumbled across cp.

id still grow them probably , but its hard to imagine growing a plant with no traps , bladders , pitchers , or dews . but what do you mean by if still growing a carnivorous plant if its not carnivorous , would'nt it be called something else except of " carnivorous " , but then i also grow other exotic plants such as aroids , orchids ,and other tropics . i usually only grow plants that have some cool feature , imagine me growing a sunflower , how boring ( to me that is ) , if i grew a nepenthes with no pitchers, i would'nt know if i'd grow it , if i grew a flytrap with no traps i don't really thing i'd grow it , i agree with larry and cp2k , i would'nt grow a plant unless it had a unique characteristic .

I suppose the answer would be yes. But it's hard to say. I think the fact that they are carnivorous plays a really big part in my draw to them.

But I like exotic things. There is something about "something" that takes special care. Whether it be roasting coffee beans (one of my most favorite joys) or carefully preparing a micro-climate for a rare or exotic plant; they both require a little research and TLC to create.

For me, it's the process; the fact they eat things, that's a bonus!!!

Chris

Yes, I think that I would because of their unusual shapes and their difference from the usual home-grown plants. I don't have the luxury of having a greenhouse, so the main reason that I like them is that so many of them are small and I can grow larger numbers of them in smaller growing areas.

Back