What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it rooting?

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So I took some stem cuttings recently from the tops of several of my biggest plants. I know they can take months to root, and I don't see any yet - it's only been two or three weeks. But, several cuttings are already opening new leaves. Does that indicate success? The bottoms of the cuttings are browning a little right around the wounds, and while the rest of the stems look good, the cut parts make me feel a little uneasy. Anybody care to share their experiences?
Thanks,
~Joe

Last edited:
of what plant? neps?
opening new leaves isnt a sign of a guarantee, but it sure helps keep the cutting alive and gives the cutting a chance of establishing itself. for me, it took almost 9 weeks. you've got a while. if you do feel uneasy about the cutting browning a bit i would recommend that you take a fresh razor blade, and slice a small section off, above the old cut, to expose new tissue instead of the scabbed stuff. however, if you see little root hairs already establishing themselves, i would say leave it alone, and let the plant work its magic.

Yes, Neps. I saw a little white filament on one but I couldn't tell if it was from the plant or from the spongy stuff I'm rooting it in. I should get out my jeweler's loupe and take a look with magnification.
~Joe

Don't worry about the browning, it happens. Now if it is getting soft, that would be a problem.

I used to have a pic of new roots poking out of the stem, but I seem to have deleted it.

It depends on the nep and how wet you keep the cutting.
The roots will be black.
When I use damp LFS I get roots before much growth.
When I use pearlite/LFS soaked, I get new leaf growth before the roots start to show up.
I takes a while for most neps to root and it may be hard to resist the urge to check them all the time but they do better if you just water and forget:)
That's just my experience.
old PICS of rooted cutting

sangorangecuttingroots3.jpg

sangorangecuttingroots2.jpg

sangorangecuttingroots.jpg

Cool. I don't think I'll be cutting again for now... the stems are still very green and aside from the scars have not started to fade. Thanks for putting my fears to rest. :)
~Joe

My favorite cutting story: My school has a bog garden in one of its greenhouses and had the SADDEST looking N. alata I had ever seen. Five foot vine, maybe a dozen leaves and perhaps two or three pitchers, all of which were browning. I looked around the base and saw a small three-leaved budding shoot and quickly removed it and pocketed it. When i got back to my dorm room, I stuck it in a pot with my N. 'Ventrata' and it browned up and i believed it too be dead. No big loss. I went to remove it, however, and noticed it had started to send up another growing point! In the node below, it made roots, and in the node above, it made a new growing point. Amazing. Anyway, whats best is often to just clip 'em and treat em almost like adult plants, though perhaps with a bit higher humidity.

Back