What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is ebay getting close to breaching the Sherman antitrust laws with this?

Anyone look up DVDs and CDs on Ebay lately? They changed how results are listed so say I'm looking for the first season of Ugly Americans (awesome show BTW!), this is the page you get for the Ugly Americans DVD listing:
http://catalog.ebay.com/Ugly-Americans-Season-One-Vol-1-DVD-2010-/85620737?_fifpts=1&_pcatid=1&_refkw=ugly+americans&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A4026&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Almost every DVD I've searched for tonight is being listed for sale by the power seller "Oddbanana" first (granted they are the lowest priced seller) but you have to really hunt for the listings from any other sellers. Just seems to me a rather crooked turn they've made at least with these type of listings. I did send feedback that I really hate this combined seller DVD & CD sales listing format. Unless the ads are free it's like they're hiding the ads from the other sellers and that would infuriate me if I had to pay for my ad and then have it hidden where almost no one will find it... :(

Sherman hasn't really been enforced since Carter left office.

Looks to me like they just post the 5 or so lowest price + shipping listings. On the list you give as an example Oddbanana undercuts the next highest listing by 1 cent. They probably just look at the listings and undercut the competition by 1 cent wherever they can. It's just gaming the system, like naming your company "AA or A1" so and so to get a listing in the front of the yellow pages.

Oddbanana never came up once in the 10 searches I ran.

It's not so much the seller Oddbanana themselves but rather that there is only the one group listing when you search for say Ugly Americans Season One DVDs on the search results :
http://dvd.shop.ebay.com/DVD-HD-DVD...catref=1&_fln=1&_npmv=3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Not multiple listings from different sellers like there used to be. You have to kinda dig for the actual list of DVD ads. Many people probably won't do that and will just buy this first listing and to me it seems they are giving an unfair advantage to whichever seller happens to come up first.

This is just my take on it but I am interested to hear what others think about this new format. Perhaps if your movie is not listed via UPC code you don't get stuck in "group ad" land....???

Ebay search sucks lately..
If i search for something thats not on ebay, it changes a few letters and gives me that.... (edwardian antiques instead of nepenthes edwardsiana....)
And it gives crappy suggestions too when you type in the search bar.
When typing drosera i always get a huge list of motorola droid crap =/

Well I don't see it as a problem.

The default sort is "best match". Changing the sort by to anything else shows all the hits. Drilling down from the "best match" search results defaults to the lowest price item but shows the 5 lowest priced matching items. Clicking on "show all listings" does just that and you can change the sort.

The summary on the "Best Match" search results clearly lists how many total listings there are in each hit.

Most people want the best price. That's what the defaults deliver. If you change the sort by parameter it stays set to that for all subsequent searches until you close your browser. Perhaps it would be nice if you could set this as a preference.

It looks like this search results format it based on Amazon's search engine.

With eBay it is always "Caveat emptor".

just go to walmart, swords....
i picked up the DVD the other day for 15$....
Ugly Americans is amazing btw.

Good to see people with good taste :)

Cool, I buy groceries there or at target so I'll check and see if either of them have it.

I was so pissed before the show started. The name indicates something very different, so I was determined not to like the show since it was not capitalizing on the true meaning of the phrase but despite my best efforts after the first episode I decided it was just too awesome for me not to like it!

Ebay search sucks lately..
If i search for something thats not on ebay, it changes a few letters and gives me that.... (edwardian antiques instead of nepenthes edwardsiana....)
And it gives crappy suggestions too when you type in the search bar.
When typing drosera i always get a huge list of motorola droid crap =/

Ebay search doesn't suck.... It's doing what it's supposed to. Do you think you're more likely to find Nepenthes edwardsiana for sale or Edwardian Antiques : )

How many people search for Droida versus Drosera? Sounds like the suggestions are probably helpful to people not smart enough to buy an iPhone ; )

Back