What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
Some pics of some of my favorite cps, at least until my orchidioides flower.

First off, my U. reniformis after a nice winter rest outdoors:

IMG_4307.jpg

Wait, where's that leaf coming from?

Even though it won't flower for me :)censor: ) after a winter of torture :)devil: ), I love this species for its large leaves and wandering rhizomes:

IMG_4309.jpg

It's going nuts underground!

My U. nelumbifolia is flowering (This one's yours Andy!):

IMG_4273.jpg

Comparison with a U. longifolia flower:

IMG_4291.jpg

A different angle...

IMG_4301.jpg

Such long flower stalks!

IMG_4299.jpg

Love the reniformis, wish I had the space.

How long is the nelumbiflora spike, unless you have very small hands I may have to cross it off my want list :-(. Looks too big for my little indoor setup.

Very nice flowers, can't wait for the few I have in spike to finish up and flower already.

dang.....my reniformis leaves dont get that big......

what do you mean a nice winter rest? doesnt if freeze where you are?
thanks
adam

alot of the Europeans have been giving their plants a cool dormancy.....IIRC right at around 40 degrees.....supposedly it drastically increases the chances for flowers........im told the plant itself can take air temps to freezing so long as the soil itself doesnt get cold enough to freeze......

RSS - I'm a midget. JK.

The stalk is pretty long... I'd say a foot and a half, probably more. I't out in the greenhouse right now.

Sheridan, thanks for the compliment and you're right -- I'm doing it the Euro-way. It's in a peaty mix with cold winters. As for leaf size, I think it's all about the clone. That's why I'm always trying to get more.

Adam, yeah it freezes here, but it's in my greenhouse, where temps stay above 35 F in the winter. My asplundii took a big hit from the cooler temps. I tried to torture it into flowering but all it did was lose most of its leaves.

I'm trying to make a hybrid, btw. Longifolia x nelumifolia and vice versa. The leaves would look really wacky!

asplundii is a headache species.......it will do a crash even if conditions dont change, dont beat yourself up over it.....give it time, there is a good chance it will rebound.....

So it's never flowered for you? How long have you had yours? I've had mine for about a year.

which one? asplundii or the reni? havent flowered either....have had for around 4 years but the asplundii died off completely last fall during one of its die back cycles.....

Jeff,
Great pics! Love the flowers. Like a few others in the family, I really enjoy the anthropomorphic design (...or my imagination's interpretation of the design...) :crazy: of the U. nelumbifolia flower. I've just recently started to grow a few utrics & am finding I have a 'need' to grow a few more ..... :angel: :drool: :drunk:

Wolcattaj and Ron - thanks.

Sheridan - Yeah, I meant the asplundii. That's very odd that your plant dies back for no reason. Mine seems to grow very fast and puts out loads of leaves except when I exposed it to 35 F.

Wow. That's huuuge. VERY nice flowers. :) They sort of remind me of purple bats, especially longifolia.

well congrats to you if other than the cold snap you never experienced die back....ive been told by other growers that what i experienced was typical for the species.....periods of very good growth followed by periods of leaf die back and a rest......normally it wasnt an issue cause lots of tubers were formed....but for whatever reason it didnt produce any tubers before the last die back.....

Maybe it's the difference between clones?

You don't have this species anymore? I thought you said it just died back, but not permanently. When mine finally flowers, I'll let you know and maybe send some tubers your way.

i had it up through about November....i had the plant for almost 4 years at that time......

the plant would go through basically a random dormancy, all the leaves would die back, and it would come back from the tubers after about 4 weeks of resting........well it didnt produce any tubers before the last dormancy so there was nothing to come back from.....

Heh, check this out jeff =P

My asplundii bloomed.
4430_575913812058_11714318_34529998_4132601_n.jpg

I'm pretty surprise it still bloomed this year since i almost killed it last summer.

the almost killing it is prolly what triggered it to bloom :D

Very nice Randal! I'm glad you posted a photo. Mine is churning out leaves like never before... I increased the light and I think that did something.

Mine should flower next year I think, haha. ;)

I'm trying to make a hybrid, btw. Longifolia x nelumifolia and vice versa. The leaves would look really wacky!
Jeff,
Any updates on your pollinations? Any seed or developing capsules?

Back