What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In the wild: Scottish Drosera (photos)

Hi all,

Just a few photos of Drosera that I stumbled across in Scotland.

I shot them with my phone—taking pictures of sundews wasn't planned—so, no great shakes as regards photo quality.
Thought you might like them nonetheless.

These are from the East Coast, 2013:

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

Rather disappointed. Based on the title I had thought they'd be wearing little kilts. :-D

On a serious note ... nice shots. Did any of the locals send some strange looks your way as you stopped to "ooh" and "ahh" while taking photos? :)

Great pictures! Is that sphagnum they are growing on in the first picture, or another kind of moss?

Great pictures! Is that sphagnum they are growing on in the first picture, or another kind of moss?

Thank you!
I'm pretty sure it isn't Sphagnum, but I have no idea what moss it is.

Did any of the locals send some strange looks your way as you stopped to "ooh" and "ahh" while taking photos? :)

Nobody at all around at any of these locations... :)

Very cool. Always good to see these plants in the wild !

Thank you!
I'm pretty sure it isn't Sphagnum, but I have no idea what moss it is.

Nobody at all around at any of these locations... :)
Hi, lovely pics. Just out of interest are you from Scotland? I'm seeing up a Scottish branch of the uk Carnivorous plant society and if your from Scotland or extreme North of England you might be interested in attending? Well be starting off small with meetings and a few open days at really nice collections.
Kind regards

Mark

Hi, lovely pics. Just out of interest are you from Scotland? I'm seeing up a Scottish branch of the uk Carnivorous plant society and if your from Scotland or extreme North of England you might be interested in attending? Well be starting off small with meetings and a few open days at really nice collections.
Kind regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks!

I lived in Scotland for many years, but I left in 2008. I live in the US now.
I wish there had been a Scots branch of the CPS when I lived there. It's great that you're starting one. I know someone in Fife who I think will be interested. I'll let him know (and put you in touch if he is).

Cheers,
Marcus

Cheers Marcus, that would great. If when your back for a holiday give me a shout and can catch up to do some cp hunting. I've sent a pm with my contact details.
Thanks again

Mark

Their cousins in the West (these guys: Isle of Mull, 2015) are having a much harder time. :(

IMG_7189.jpg

IMG_7192.jpg

In the wild: Scottish Pinguicula

Some Pinguicula vulgaris, also on the Isle of Mull (Inner Hebrides, Scotland, June 2015):

IMG_7186.jpg

IMG_7198.jpg

IMG_7199.jpg

IMG_7252.jpg

(The latter with a Drosera rotundifolia hiding next to the ping...)

Great photos over there, Mark!

Back