What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'll Betcha No One Hits the B.I.N.......

There is an auction for a large N. macrophylla on eBay right now that I'm sure several of you have seen. The seller has obviously invested a great deal of time and patience and it's his or her choice to set the hoops however they want for anyone wanting to jump in but if I were selling that high I would have either waited until several fresh pitchers had set or would have whacked off those dead and dying ones and just used file pictures of fully flushed pitchers from the past. A couple of the rules listed in the details sound a little preemptory and harsh like blocking a bidder from ever bidding on any future auctions if they dare offer a lower price. I might check back in a few days to see if it sells but I am betting it doesn't.

Just saw this later today. What has me worried about the plant's safety is the apparent fungus issue covering most of the old leaves and the small root system. Has anyone asked the seller of the origins of the Macrophylla? I would be very curious to find out. . . . .

The soil choice is dubious. It sounds similar to what I had mine in until this weekend, and whoever was in the chat Saturday all heard how my roots fared in that mess. ;)

Cool plant. But this guy is nuts. With that attitude I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't really trying to sell it. Just posting to show off or troll.

It has big healthy leaves with the exception of the spots but I noticed the small container also. This looks more like an "I need some money fast" deal rather than someone deciding to part with a plant. I have a small mac and have no idea what a realistic price would be on that plant so would anyone care to state a hypothetical price? My wild guess would be around $1500.

Cool plant. But this guy is nuts. With that attitude I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't really trying to sell it. Just posting to show off or troll.

I think you nailed it!

Well, I can almost guarantee that it's not going to sell at that price. "It'll pitcher soon" Uh huh! Not after the move, it won't. This is setting someone up for a huge disappointment, IMO.

It's sad. In every hobby there are "rare" specimens that get sold for outrageous numbers and this always seems to do more harm than good. In most cases nature is destroyed because someone wants to brag about a seedgrown or wild being.
I wish everyone would protest and stop hyping up specimens like Macrophylla, Edwardsiana, C. Eden Black etc. I can understand a certain price for slow growing species and no one can deny these plants look unique. However, nothing is worth this much money when people all around the world are suffering from poverty.
At the end of the day it's just a plant and it's not like you hand-crafted the thing.

and how about that eddie posted right next to it? is it safe to buy plants like that off ebay?

I am totally going to bid on that. Totally.

It's sad. In every hobby there are "rare" specimens that get sold for outrageous numbers and this always seems to do more harm than good. In most cases nature is destroyed because someone wants to brag about a seedgrown or wild being...

It's sort of like how the International Carnivorous Plant Society now has a rule that you can't just buy some seeds from the ICPS Seed Bank and then sell them for ten bucks apiece. Again, this doesn't really help the ICPS and really just gets rare, valuable seeds sold to people who most likely have no interest or experience with such plants. Essentially, the poor seeds' fates are sealed.

My main lol moment is since this guy supposedly loves this plant so much and is so difficult to grow then why on earth is it in the guys GARAGE!? BC Im sure a plant as "finicky" as that just LOVES to be moved around!

It's sort of like how the International Carnivorous Plant Society now has a rule that you can't just buy some seeds from the ICPS Seed Bank and then sell them for ten bucks apiece. Again, this doesn't really help the ICPS and really just gets rare, valuable seeds sold to people who most likely have no interest or experience with such plants. Essentially, the poor seeds' fates are sealed.

What?? I fail to see the logic in that statement. I mean, what member of the ICPS (an esoteric group with academic leanings) is going to buy seed if they have no interest (or experience) in raising them to adult plants? I think that the odds of the seeds ending up in the hands of capable, serious individuals are far greater via the ICPS store than anywhere else. Oh....wait....I get it; you were just trolling! Now I understand.

Cephalotus seedlings from from seed purchased from the ICPS in October 2011:
20130625-125224.jpg

First off, I see no comparison with people who sell rare plants for outrageously high $$ to the low $$ ICPS makes seed available to paid memberships.

Explain to me just how this rule "gets rare, valuable seeds sold to people who most likely have no interest or experience with such plants?" I would think it discourages such.

Lastly, if you would bother to read the rules in their entirety, or even understood what ICPS is all about, it may make sense to you. Also, there is a legitimate explanation for that rule...if you bother to read further than the first paragraph.

Edit: Paul, you are quicker at composing than I am and beat me to it, lol. Nice ceph btw.

Last edited:
It's sad. In every hobby there are "rare" specimens that get sold for outrageous numbers and this always seems to do more harm than good. In most cases nature is destroyed because someone wants to brag about a seedgrown or wild being.
I wish everyone would protest and stop hyping up specimens like Macrophylla, Edwardsiana, C. Eden Black etc. I can understand a certain price for slow growing species and no one can deny these plants look unique. However, nothing is worth this much money when people all around the world are suffering from poverty.
At the end of the day it's just a plant and it's not like you hand-crafted the thing.

I fail to see the connection to poverty. Are you saying that since poverty exists nobody has the right to a comfortable life and hobbies they enjoy? If that is how you feel then why are you here instead of living in a ditch somewhere?

^ I was talking about abusing the hobby and overpricing things. If you are happy about the market, good for you. As for being online in a forum or living in a ditch, I don't see any connection - I guess that makes us even in not understanding each other.

The way I understood this post is that "this" is not referring to the rule, it is referring to the act of reselling seeds. Reselling seeds received from the ICPS does not help the society. The people who buy the seeds at the higher price may not appreciate them as much as experienced members and/or hobbyists that would buy from the ICPS directly. This reselling would therefore "seal the seeds' fates."

^ I was talking about abusing the hobby and overpricing things. If you are happy about the market, good for you. As for being online in a forum or living in a ditch, I don't see any connection - I guess that makes us even in not understanding each other.

Happiness is irrelevant, market forces dictate pricing whether we like it or not. In this particular case the seller seems to have priced his plant higher than the market will support, and he will figure it out when the plant fails to sell. My comment about living in a ditch was in response to yours about poverty, if you feel so strongly about denying people their passions because others live in poverty then why are you online talking about your plants? Set the example and give up the things you think others shouldn't have.

Being online talking about plants is not the same as charging/paying 6 thousand dollars for a plant - I still don't understand why you're trying to challenge such an obvious thing.

Who am I to deny anyone anything ? It is my ethical view to not pay the price of a rent for a plant. I already set the example by refusing to do it. If you think I shouldn't express my opinion at all, that's a totally different story. You don't have to agree with me and I don't have to prove anything to you.

Back