What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to see your tallest pitcher!!

lil hokie

heatherfeather knows the weather!
Mirror mirror on the wall,
who has the tallest pitcher of them all!

Hello everyone!
I am a fan of very tall pitchers so let me see your tallest Sarracenia pitchers!

Here is my tallest at the moment!

S. alata
DSCN8604_zpse4844f59.jpg

Ignore the picture quality! It is hard to hover over other plants, hold a tape measures, and try to take a picture when you cannot see because the sun is trying to burn your eyeballs out. (Aka I am full of excuses.) Also ignore any thrips you see.

Share! Share! Share!!

You've already seen mine.

S. rubra from my bog garden.

My sarracenias are only just coming out of dormancy....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

almost 34 ? wow !

Are you sure that's not jonesii? S. rubra rubra doesn't get anywhere near that height.

I'll check Graham. The label is in there somewhere amongst the pitchers but I do believe it was sent to me as wherryii. I knew it wasnt a rubra rubra.

S rubra wherryi 'red tube copper lid' from citronella bog is what I received it as.

Interesting, it looks more like S. alata to me, what with color and the shape of the hood (most rubras I've seen have elongate rather than wide lids).

I really cant argue its validity as rubras are my least studied sarracenia and probably least favorite. Could be a hybrid, could be something besides what its labeled. If you showed me a pic with all the varieties of rubra i'm sure I couldnt tell you which was which:). Flavas and purps I might be able to but not rubras.

Back on subject...I have 2 yr old sarrs that are 2 ft tall. Theyre also growing in 3 gallon pots so that could possibly be making the difference.

I'll check Graham. The label is in there somewhere amongst the pitchers but I do believe it was sent to me as wherryii. I knew it wasnt a rubra rubra.

S rubra wherryi 'red tube copper lid' from citronella bog is what I received it as.

I have that same rubra, its from Bugweed's collection... Weird though cuz mine has always stayed really small. Probably just because rubras(along with minors and luecos) hate it up here. They really dont like the cold.

I really cant argue its validity as rubras are my least studied sarracenia and probably least favorite. Could be a hybrid, could be something besides what its labeled. If you showed me a pic with all the varieties of rubra i'm sure I couldnt tell you which was which:). Flavas and purps I might be able to but not rubras.

Back on subject...I have 2 yr old sarrs that are 2 ft tall. Theyre also growing in 3 gallon pots so that could possibly be making the difference.

Post pictures of those too!

I have that same rubra, its from Bugweed's collection... Weird though cuz mine has always stayed really small. Probably just because rubras(along with minors and luecos) hate it up here. They really dont like the cold.
I have it in a mini pond liner with a drain hole halfway up the side. Its probably 3 ft deep. Lots of root room and a big reservoir is probably helping it out a lot. I'm really blown away at its size this year because last year it was about the same size as the other rubras.

Post pics in a lil Heather.

my fledgling is getting used to my conditions but I hope to get 30 inches out of it next year.

s. leah wilkerson:

102_0919_zps0e2e0515.jpg

Remember, length isn't everything.

9802402896_0ddd6548e4_o.jpg

Wow!!! I'd love to have some pitchers half as tall as I am. Maybe next year. Tomorrow I can get a shot of my largest pitcher, my flava. I haven't put a yardstick up to it. I'm curious to see just how tall it is.

I think it's pretty good for a first summer growing! My flava is my tallest pitcher by far.

DSCF1577_zps72e7fc22.jpg

Hoping for bigger next year!!

Back