What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I vote for...

The general consensus for running it on a phone is it does not work... As I mentioned above people have asked for it, so maybe he'll work on it. I also mentioned it is not java and that is probably why it DOESN'T work on phones, it is... uhm... ajax So probably not much worth trying to work if it doesn't load, chances are you phone doesn't support that programming. The other people can load the application, it just doesn't self update, that's why they have to reload the archives.
Andrew

I also mentioned it is not java and that is probably why it DOESN'T work on phones, it is... uhm... ajax So probably not much worth trying to work if it doesn't load, chances are you phone doesn't support that programming.
Ooooohhhhhh, I thought you meant the phone probably doesn't run JAVA. That makes sense, then, LOL. I don't know how common it is for phones to be able to process AJAX, so that definitely answers that question.

Just for curiosity's sake, what phones are you guys that have some success with the chat using?

EDIT: For anyone interested, the chat doesn't work at all with the Blackberry default browser, but it does work on Blackberries with the BOLT browser.

Also, Andy, Tapatalk (one of those addon/mobile client things) seems it may have support for MGC Chatbox Evo. I'd only seen vague references, though, so I don't know. Could be something to look into, not just for the chat, but for the mobile optimizations.

Last edited:
I believe tapatalk has a fee for you guys to get it. I glanced at it once. I've not seen any reference that it works for the chatbox anywhere either.

I've been working on the full page version of the chatbox (far right button in the bottom right of the chatbox) and I think it's pretty phone friendly (if your phone loads the chatbox) you can then just reload that page (still doesn't refresh, duh) to see what's going on instead of having a different page reloading the archives... Since that page is not having to reload the whole forum. ???

Andrew

Yeah, unfortunately, it does. It's free (at least for now) for Blackberry and (I think) Nokia phones, but that'll eventually change I imagine. It comes down to how badly you want that little "extra" experience, I guess. I think it was only like $3, though, so it's not terrible. A free option would always be best, obviously. I'd probably pay for it, just because I visit a lot of forums and I know a lot do use it.

But the full page version! That's a great idea, definitely better than having two pages open, like you said. Auto-reloading would obviously be ideal, but that has nothing to do with you or the chat plug in thing. It's definitely a good option, though, for the mobile chat. Just bookmark the full-page thing and you've essentially got it on hand all the time.

Also, I think (from the very limited research I've done on it) that most smartphones nowadays should be supporting AJAX, it just comes down to the browser. Like I said, on my Blackberry, the Blackberry browser doesn't even load the chat, but the BOLT browser has no problem with it. So, for those of you that want the chat on the move but it doesn't work, make sure you're trying other browser options.

Ooooohhhh.... A full page version!

BRT!

Back