What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a Sarracenia do I shut her down over the winter like VFT ?

Any advise welcome thanks

Noddy

Uhh, yes.. maybe google?

Seeing that you're in the UK, you're most likely going to have to protect them from the harsh winter. Once they go dormant, put them in an unheated garage/basement or in a fridge.

You could just put it on a windowsill if it gets cold enough...as in under 10 degrees Celsius. They may appreciate the light they get on the windowsill. Depends on which sarracenia you have, but generally just put them in a cold place and keep them moist.

Seeing that you're in the UK, you're most likely going to have to protect them from the harsh winter. Once they go dormant, put them in an unheated garage/basement or in a fridge.

UK actually has a pretty nice and temperate winter. Most of it is in zone 8, and the rest in zone 7, far from harsh.

...Just kidding! LOL. Heh, didn't know they had temperate winters since they're farther north than the US.

They are more North but due to the ocean current from the North Atlantic drift, the winters are warmer and the summers cooler.

If you want a harsh winter, come up here in Canada...try getting lost in a snowstorm at -22 F :-O

yes, treat the purp exactly the same as the VFT..
in your case, that means simply "leave it outside every day of the year, forever"..

Scot

i second scott about leaving it outside. Also, with my new terrarium set up, i will be attempting to grow a vft and purp from lowes under lights, very difficult, and still give them dormancy.

Back