What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I gave a 10 minute presentation on cps

For my Core Biology class I had to give a 10 minute presentation on a scientific journal article of my choice. The article had to somehow pertain to what we've learned so far, so seeing as we've been learning all about photosynthesis (down to the last sickeningly microscopic detail-Ugh!) I naturally chose something out of the ICPS journal. I picked the one out of the March 2005 issue which dealt with trapping behavior of Drosera rotundifolia in the wild. The cool thing is that my instructor approved of me diong this article
smilie4.gif

I decided to take the opportunity to not only present on the interesting article but to also give my class a whole background on CPs, including what CPs are, where they grow, and an overview of several different species (Venus Flytraps, Tropical Pitcher Plants, Butterworts, Bladderworts, and Sundews). I even used Powerpoint with lots of pictures from my website (I also gave my website a shameless plug at the end
smile_n_32.gif
). Everyone seemed to dig it and I got a lot of questions at the end, which is always cool.

LLeopardGGecko: Opening the eyes of others to the world of CPs one Biology class at a time
smile_m_32.gif

LoL! I have 2 CP projects I get to do this semester. I have a 20 page paper I am doing on Nepenthes production and cultivation for my nursery management class, and a presentation and paper on wild carnivorous plant populations and conservation for Botany.  It makes it so much easier when the projects are something you care about.
Glad to hear yours went good.
-Nick

This is off topic, but Nick what kind of major requires a nursery management class.  Enquirering minds want to know.  If I wasn't so afraid that a major other than Nurseing would give me the funds needed to start my Orchid nursery I would switch.  I would love to go into some type of botony field, but I'm afraid in my area I wouldn't be able to make the funds needed to finance an orchid nursery.  It sounds very interesting though.  Please change my mind  ITs not to late to change majors.  LOL
Oh and Gecko thats fabulous I got to do a speach in my speach class on orchids and was able to just take note cards and do my speach and made an A on the project. Way to go.

I am majoring in Landscape and Nursery Management under the college of Horticulture. There is a ton of jobs in Florida, the college says that every grad. has at least 4 job offers when they graduate. University of Florida's Horticulture department is 3rd in the US. I switched into the major from 3d animation a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier.
-Nick

Back