What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

House Plant hybrids

Thagirion

Budgies are best
I'm familiar with which species make good house plants, but what hybrids do you recommend for growing on windowsills or under lights indoors? And not ventrata or miranda because I know of those already.

My N. 'Lady Pauline' is really easy on a windowsill, and would work under lights too. I find that N. spectabilis x aristolochioides also works nicely.

Some species FYI that work nicely are N. sanguinea, N. truncata and N. veitchii (a highland one). Of course I'd say most ventricosa hybrids would do fine aswell.

Anything with maxima, ventricosa, or maybe sanguinea in it.

For a species, N. burkei works amazingly! Look for crosses between lowlanders and highlanders. They'll have intermediate requirements, which is what you want.

Thanks for all the info everyone.
Wireman, I figured highland/lowland cross would be a good one. I'm on the look out for merrilliana crosses. Wish I had a Sanguinea. I've heard they make good house plants. I don't have any of those beginner species like ventricosa and sanguinea. Not big on maximas but I had some seeds sprout so I guess I'll have some soon.

a list of every nep that I know of that makes a good houseplant.

ventricosa and most of it's hybrids

maxima and most of it's hybrids.

sanguinea and most of it's hybrids.

truncata and most of it's hybrids

spathulata and most of it's hybrids.

alata and it's hybrids

albomarginata

smilesii

clipeata

khasiana

Albomarginata is a good house plant? I'm surprised. I wouldn't have thought so because they are lowlands. Well perhaps I'll bring one of mine into the house.

Albomarginata is a good house plant? I'm surprised. I wouldn't have thought so because they are lowlands. Well perhaps I'll bring one of mine into the house.

I grow the red form outdoors in the summer, and indoors during the cool months...does fantastic.

N.thorelli x campanulata is an amazingly tough plant that's been able to withstand all the horrid conditions I throw at it. Also, N.adrianii (which is somewhat like spathulata).

Back