What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hmmmm U. calycifida or U. tricolor

ok I got a plug labeled U. tricolor and one labeled U. calycifida

this is tricolor
tricolor7mm.jpg

this is calycifida
calaifida0046za.jpg

closer up
calaifida0015ar.jpg

Now to me they look like the same plants. So after having them for awhile now i decided to look up a few pics of the surface parts.
(I had only seen pics of the flowers)
And wouldnt you know it they dont look anything like the other pics i found...  
confused.gif

So my guess is i got two pots of tricolor what do you guys think??
smile_r_32.gif

Yup, both tricolor.
smile_n_32.gif
U. calyficida has more upright leaves.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]U. calyficida has more upright leaves.
My U. calyficida lays down, but it has oval shaped leaves not liver shaped.

Yep... sorry bud! My calycifida also lays down, generally speaking, but has occasional upright leaves. It's also got less red/brown pigmentation in the leaves - they're a bolder, brighter green. My tricolor seems to really press its leaves down, much more so than calycifida or my other Utrics, in contrast.
~Joe

ok well I guess ill make a post in the trade section and see if any one wants to trade for a plug.

Here's the pics i seen of calycifida

asenath2.jpg

Utricularia%20calycifida%20leaves.jpg

ucaly05.jpg

calycifida.jpg

I know its hard to see in my first pics but trust me mine dont look anything like the pics above.

I'm looking at what I received a couple years ago as calcyfida and tricolor and they look very similar. Mine look spade-shaped, although the largest clacyfida leaves are broader than those that came as tricolor. They're both green with no other pigment. The tricolor is sending up a stalk and the calcyfida is sending up a couple of grass-like appendages that don't seem to be flower stalks.
confused.gif

dont lie to me Jim, tricolor is impossible to flower
smile_n_32.gif
BTW if yah got that tricolor from me, yah might want to watch it carefully i found some subulata in mine. calycifida and tricolor are easy to tell apart via the lollons when yah have them side by side. not all calycifida cultivars have pigment in the leaves. i believe the white flowered form(alba or albino or whatever) has plain green leaves

Most of what I got from two years ago came from Dodecatheon and then Cool85. I noticed non-sphagnum moss in all of the ones from Dodecatheon and eventually, U. subulata emerged from each plug.

The tricolor sent up a stalk last year as well, but never blossomed.

Back