What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hiking pics

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I went back up to Pine Grove Furnace without the wife on Saturday to look for CP's, hiking, and geocaching.
I found some new areas which Drosera rotundifolia was growing. I only found them because of their flower stalks, because no leaves where above the sphagnum moss. I'm moved the moss around and see they are forming their hybernacula. I was surprised at how shaded an area I found plants growing.
Here's a picture of the Drosera rotundifolia, which you can only see the flower stalk.

133sundew.jpg

The tree cover where they grow.

133trees.jpg

One of the areas I was searching had springs all over the place on the side of the mountain. It was like wall to wall sphagnum carpet.

133DSC03552.jpg

133DSC03558.jpg

133DSC03561.jpg

And the half way point on the Appalachian Trail.

133APtrail.jpg

Well it looks like you had a good outing!It's amazing that D.rotundifolia,or any other cp could grow covered up by other plants.Those plants may get overgrown next year,as the other plants invade their space.Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Jerry

Nice pics! Kinda looks like the woods behind our house. Except that our moss is carpet moss and there`s no D.rotundifolia Lol. It`s so fun to go back there and just sit on a mossed over rock watching the birds chirp and such:)

Thanks for the comments.

What a beautiful place! How far away from you is that place, Steve? I love carpets of moss like that. Green has to be one of the best colors on earth!

Thanks for sharing the pics.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Oct. 03 2005,11:44)]What a beautiful place! How far away from you is that place, Steve? I love carpets of moss like that. Green has to be one of the best colors on earth!

Thanks for sharing the pics.
smile.gif
It's a hour and a half away.
I hope to find some places closer to home. After seeing how shaded the plants where, gives me some ideas of where to search.

Hopefully I'll be able to do some searching for CP's in NJ. The wife and I are going to Atlantic City and then Cape May. I might be able to slip away for a while to go hunting.
smile_m_32.gif

Back