What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland Nepenthes grown in "Inadequate" conditions.

I am starting this thread to be able to hear about stories of people who are growing highland nepenthes in "inadequate" conditions such as high temperatures, low humidity, etc. I am looking to acquire a nepenthes villosa and the following to threads were the ones that inspired this thread:

N. rajah & N. villosa grew like Sarracenias... - Nepenthes - Carnivorous Plants UK
my little Villosa - Nepenthes - Carnivorous Plants UK

In both cases n. villosa was grown in high temperatures when villosa is an ultrahighland plant.

Right now I am growing a nepenthes glabrata as an intermediate/lowlander and it's doing very well, putting leaf after leaf and pitchering with every one. It's been this way for about three months, so it might not be sustainable in the long term, but who knows.

Post your plants grown in "inadequate" conditions with as many pictures as you can!

Sure, Rajah and Villosa will tolerate high temps for a day or two, but prolonged exposure to this condition will result in slow death of said plants.
While temp is one thing, they can't go without high humidity, especially Villosa.
Can't compare a Glabrata to these guys.

Harrow surely the two links provided completely contradict what you are saying , in the second link the grower says that his villosa was grown in a tank with temps rarely dropping below 18c , I would call that intermediate

Last edited:
Ive been growing a sibyuanensis on my windowsill for 2 years now, it doesnt seem to care too much.

I didn't care to go through threads, but how long have these plants been growing in these conditions? I would not consider even a few years successful. These are species thats success is measured in much longer frames of time...

I didn't care to go through threads, but how long have these plants been growing in these conditions? I would not consider even a few years successful. These are species thats success is measured in much longer frames of time...

One it didn't state, and the other for the whole summer ( around 3 months I guess). Regardless, it's still pretty impressive (at least in my opinion) than an UHL plant could tolerate 25C nights for over 2 months without showing any signs of stress.

2 months is a blink of an eye for that plant, they do everything at a very slow pace including dying....

If you looked at the thread you might see its one of the most impressive villosa, not hanging on for dear life

Harrow surely the two links provided completely contradict what you are saying , in the second link the grower says that his villosa was grown in a tank with temps rarely dropping below 18c , I would call that intermediate

The grower is very lucky to have that particular clone, and by the way, he did mentioned "always high humidity" in the thread.
You're always welcome to subject a Villosa in that condition though and see how long it lasts.

I'm pretty sure someone here on the forums is growing a villosa outdoors with similar temps and less humidity.

After looking at the thread its clearly a very nice villosa, grown by a skilled keeper. But, I'm sure those "40ºC" temps are few and for short stints. Not its average growing condition? 40ºC thats over 100ºF I would not be comfortable with my truly tiny half dollar sized villosa's going that high.

I am sure the 40c is rare, I was more surprised at the high minimum temperature that the grower said rarely dropped below 18c , thats a whole lot warmer than I thought it could handle as a minimum

My collection includes a N. glabrata (BE), veitchii (BE), lingulata (EP) and several H/L x H/L hybrids, all of which have survived a Sydney summer where the greenhouse was typically around 15-20 at night and sometimes got up to 38 C in summer (evaporative cooling doesn't help much when it's over 70% humidity...). Humidity is always high though, upwards of 60%, usually 70%. The glabrata is finicky in all conditions, but didn't appear to be any worse in summer than winter. Veitchii is slow but constant. I'm pretty sure the lingulata is starting to vine, and it's definitely gotten bigger leaves over summer. That may not be a good thing, however, my concern lies in the high temps accelerating the plant's metabolism and exhausting it, so I'll withhold judgement for another year or so.

I do, however, find Exotica Plants' page on growing conditions to be quite interesting, and my (limited) experience has thus far borne out what they've been saying. I know that they've got edwardsiana and macrophylla, but I've never heard of a villosa or rajah in there. Would love to see their greenhouse conditions in person. Perhaps plants bought from them are hardier purely because nature has culled the weak ones, but I can't say how far that hardiness could extend.

Hiya!

I've been growing this N. Lowii in somewhat inadequate conditions. While the humidity is between 60%-90%, the night temps is somewhere between 60-68 (17-19c) while day temps is somewhere between 75-82 (23-27c). It's been growing quite good up until now. It was about the size of my N. ephippiata (which I just got) when I first got it. I've had it about a year now, so it'll probably go down hill soon. But I can't see any dangerous signs yet.

Oh yeah, sorry about the bad photos. I have no camera, so I had to use my phone. Also, i didn't flip the pictures either. Sorry!

Z

Last edited:
I've got an N.villosa growing on my balcony in San Diego for the past... 5ish years or so. Low humidity, high temps for half the year (it's definitely seen 100F and 0%RH during the day before). If I remember, I'll try to snap a pic of it when I get home today.

IMG_1509_zpsg1swg98i.jpg

IMG_1510_zpsy1cbawwm.jpg

and with friends like N.inermis, N.tenuis, and N.hamata--
IMG_1511_zpsnbk1yapg.jpg

Hiya!

I've been growing this N. Lowii in somewhat inadequate conditions. While the humidity is between 60%-90%, the night temps is somewhere between 60-68 (17-19c) while day temps is somewhere between 75-82 (23-27c). It's been growing quite good up until now. It was about the size of my N. ephippiata (which I just got) when I first got it. I've had it about a year now, so it'll probably go down hill soon. But I can't see any dangerous signs yet.

Oh yeah, sorry about the bad photos. I have no camera, so I had to use my phone. Also, i didn't flip the pictures either. Sorry!

Z

Lowii is a bit hardier than people think it to be. 68 as a night temp is a little high, but I'm sure it will still grow fine.

Lowii is a bit hardier than people think it to be. 68 as a night temp is a little high, but I'm sure it will still grow fine.

I'm pretty sure most Nepenthes are hardier than people think they are.

Back