What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP!! Sphagnum fungus...

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
Much to my horror, I found this growing in one of my sphagnum trays. Any sure fire remidies to kill the fungus and not the sphagnum? (I'm assuming it's fungus)
Tom

DSCI0175.jpg

DSCI0176.jpg

DSCI0177.jpg

EGAD!!

What in the H-E-double-hockey-sticks is THAT?? ??

Did you blow your nose in there?

That does not look good.

What can attack Spag like that? I thought live Spag was almost indestructible?

Sorry PK, it ain't spider mites. I've delt with them dozens of times in a previous life. Although it does resemble their webs, there is not a sign of insects/arachnids in the tray. It does look very much like cultures I've had of mycilia, also from another lifetime, when I grew mushrooms. It also reacts to the touch like mycilia, turning into a substance I can best describe as slimy mush. Nothing at all like mite web.
I guess I could wait to see if I get any 'fruiting bodies', LOL!!!
Anyone else?

..and no Fryster, it's not nose excriment. :-))

would putting it outside in the direct sun help kill the fungus?

~b

I've had mushrooms infest my Nepenthes Hamata LFS (along with drosera) and grow out from all the holes in my net pot I didn't think there was anything for the mycelium to feed on in a CP soil mix.

If it is mushroom mycelium you can probly cull out the few dense patches and expose the LFS to moving air til signs of the fungus goes away. Mycelium stage doesn't like fresh air movement that might keep any remaining strands from getting another foothold. I'd start another tray of LFS just incase though.

If you fruited mushrooms in the same area (or even the same house) you probly have mucho spores floating around in the air. Carpets are great for archiving spores -releasing them when you walk on them.

Edit: Put some 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol in a mister bottle and give your sphganum a good misting. That will likely wipe out the fungus at least on the surface, should be OK for the sphagnum if you spray well with water about 10 mins after the alcohol treatment. Alcohol on a paintbrush works to spot kill bugs without hurting Neps or Drosera too.

Scoop out the worst bits and treat as suggested by Swords with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. Do not use a fungicide like Physan 20 which will kill the Sphagnum in literally a blink of the eye.

I don't know if it kills sphagnum, but cinnamon works pretty good for getting rid of molds.
~Joe

Isn't cinnamon a preventative against fungus and molds??

I think that cayenne pepper powder is the killer.

And supposedly German chamomile is a natural fungus killer as well.

(or do I have that backwards??) ;)

Scoop out the worst bits and treat as suggested by Swords with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. Do not use a fungicide like Physan 20 which will kill the Sphagnum in literally a blink of the eye.

What about Neem Oil?

Well. a 3% solution of Hydrogen peroxide was NOT the answer ... :cuss:
... oh well, better luck next time.

DSCI0001.jpg

Now you have bleached blonde Sphag!

I think you have spider mites.

number one thing to keep in mind about spider mites is they dont like high humidity.....spider mites should leave sphagnum alone for that reason.......have "cured" a few plants of spider mights simply by moving them from a low humidity area to a high humidity one......

I've found this kind of fungus on some of my sphagnum in my Nepenthes pots (not quite as bad, but it looks very similar). Does anyone have any new solutions on how to get rid of it - or if it really is a problem? The sphagnum was added a little over a month ago (I laid the strands down lengthwise), and the fungus is found on the older parts of the moss, not the new growth heads. I've also fertilized the pots w Coffee twice since adding it. All plants are outside, and it's been a very wet month with less sun than normal.

I have a similar fungus and I recently sprayed it with chlorothalonil. I can't say whether the fungus is gone yet, but the plant and the sphagnum are fine. It's supposedly a pretty mild chemical, as far as fungicides go.

Back