What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help please... On Sarracenia.... Repotting

Hi everyone

I was attempting to re-pot a Sarracenia, however the media mix did not feel like that of a VFT mix.

Is VFT mix ok... to use....

Regards

Noddy

Last edited:
They should be happy in roughly the same mix- For VFTs and Sarrs I like to do 2:1:1 peat, perlite, course sand. Just avoid using all LFS or having the media too clumped.

Thanks Gigantea

As the media I removed seemed like normal soil in the texture which left me perplexed...

I have never heard of a commercial "VFT mix"..
Is this something you bought at a store that actually says its supposed to be for VFT's?
If so, I wouldn't trust it..it could be anything.
Its best to make your own mix..

Opinions vary on the ideal mix..
some like perlite and sand in their mix, thats fine..but personally I dont use either..
I have tried all the different mixes over the years! ;)
A peat with sand mix was far too heavy and dense for me..and I absolutely hate perlite..
its ugly, floats to the surface, and serves no useful purpose I can see..I will never use it again.
My VFT and Sarr mix has settled on pure peat for most of the pot, with a top-dressing of LFS..
I go two seasons between repottings..(but three is too long!)
The LFS on the top is mainly to prevent the peat from splashing around in the rain..keeps things neat and tidy.

Noddy, im curious what your "VFT mix that doesn't seem like a VFT mix" is..
can you elaborate?

Scot

If the perlite "floats" then you either used too much or left too much up top. Just sprinkle some pure peat over and it won't do that anymore. :) Or... use pumice. I would if I could find some.

Back