What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora tatei var. neblinae x hispida (Cerro Neblina)

"Natural hybrid. Very pretty. I did not expect them to be so spectacular as they turned out! We now selected a clone that certainly is one of the most beautiful Heliamphoras I've ever came across."
A. Wistuba

As this plant has grown it has become one of the most prized Helis in my collection.

tatnebhis2009.jpg

tatnebhisB2009.jpg

tatnebhisC2009.jpg

The pitchers are becoming large and have golden color hairs on the inside. The pitcher color is a fluorescent red when new that darken to a deep burgandy with age.

HL conditions, substrate is equal parts of cypress, APS, LFS and sand. Top dressed with live sphag.

Thanks for looking
Av

...Wow. It's just spectacular.

Very pretty man! It's gonna be long wait for me til spring. If you keep pics like that coming maybe the wait will seem a little shorter.

How highland are your conditions? day/night temps, rh, fog, wind power, lights, etc.?

Very pretty man! It's gonna be long wait for me til spring. If you keep pics like that coming maybe the wait will seem a little shorter.

How highland are your conditions? day/night temps, rh, fog, wind power, lights, etc.?

Sorta HL, sorta not LOL

*Temps are seasonal
*Low 70's summer, low 60's winter with some sub-zero nights in the mid 50's
*Practically no day/night variance
*Constant airlfow during day
*Constant humidification during day @ 80+ RH and nights peak out above 90RH
*6 bulb 54w T5VHO w/5000k Narva bulbs

What a beautiful plant!

Nice plant!

Mine is just beginning its run of adult leaves after a few years of juvenile. My other naturally-occurring hybrid, H. heterodoxa x ionassi, is also a big red monster . . .

wow! That's an amazing plant!! I love the colour, and that giant nectar sppon!! WOW!!!

gorgeous mate....that is truly spectacular!!

Thank you for the kind words :hail:
Av

I came this close to ordering one of those last spring. Looks lke I should have. And your pics are proof I need to pick up a t5 fixture.

No promises, but I may have an adult division for the 2010 NASC auction...

Av

sorry for the odd question havent heard of the NASC auction . what is this ? and is it a public auction?

Jimmy

sorry for the odd question havent heard of the NASC auction . what is this ? and is it a public auction?
Gasp! lol

This is the North American Sarracenia Conservation Society auction which gets held on TF every year. Members put up plants or supplies as donations to the cause and whenever the winners of the auction pay up the $ to the members who are in charge (Scholaty and PlantAKiss IIRC) then the "seller" (donator) sends their plant(s) or supplies they donated to the winner. I'll be bidding on this bad boy for sure if it goes up!

Av8tor,
Thanks for the info on the setup. Are the 6x 54W T5s inside the tank or separated from the growing area by glass? I've read that those are some very hot running tubes but they seem to be getting popular. Do you have a 125W Horticultural CFL bulb running anywhere at your place? I'm just curious how hot the T5s are compared to those. I have a couple of the 125s for deep tanks and they do run warm but can reach pretty well but only good for a 2' x 2' area.

Do the T5s have a good reach say a 30"? Just thinking about whether to try a T5 kit or buy a few 125s for a long & deep HL setup.

Gasp! lol

This is the North American Sarracenia Conservation Society auction which gets held on TF every year. Members put up plants or supplies as donations to the cause and whenever the winners of the auction pay up the $ to the members who are in charge (Scholaty and PlantAKiss IIRC) then the "seller" (donator) sends their plant(s) or supplies they donated to the winner. I'll be bidding on this bad boy for sure if it goes up!

Av8tor,
Thanks for the info on the setup. Are the 6x 54W T5s inside the tank or separated from the growing area by glass? I've read that those are some very hot running tubes but they seem to be getting popular. Do you have a 125W Horticultural CFL bulb running anywhere at your place? I'm just curious how hot the T5s are compared to those. I have a couple of the 125s for deep tanks and they do run warm but can reach pretty well but only good for a 2' x 2' area.

Do the T5s have a good reach say a 30"? Just thinking about whether to try a T5 kit or buy a few 125s for a long & deep HL setup.

Swords,

No glass seperates the two in my setup. The do run hot, I have measured mine around 160f at the center of the bulb.

Sorry mate, I dont have any 125w CFL, cant comment on those ???

As far as reach, my helis are on the top shelf close to the lights and my neps ae on the bottom shelf. I would say the reach is pretty good... I seem to get decent enough color

SG_hamata_0709.jpg

(Moved to top shelf to take the pic)

ventricosa.jpg

Typical ventricosa on lower shelf

It is actually too intense for neps on the top shelf, but helis love it

Currently, Im experiementing with a new bulb choice. Early indications are its going to take things to the next level. Im pretty excited about them.

HTH's
Av

Thanks for the info. The Neps indeed look plenty happy and colorful!

By 'bulb choice' do you mean a higher K rating to simulate higher altitude or something else?

My original compact fluorescent setup was a JBL reef fixture with 2x 55 w 10,000 K bulbs (but not actinic blue). This was the whitest light I've ever had and gave really nice colors on my first HL Nep collection (when it was small). However, it seems almost all you can get anymore in 10K is the actinic blue bulbs. I had a 10K actinic 400W metal halide bulb that came with my ballast and I would actually describe that as "dim". I had to order the 5500K immediately. It would have been like trying to grow the plants with a blacklight.

Thanks for the info. The Neps indeed look plenty happy and colorful!

By 'bulb choice' do you mean a higher K rating to simulate higher altitude or something else?

My original compact fluorescent setup was a JBL reef fixture with 2x 55 w 10,000 K bulbs (but not actinic blue). This was the whitest light I've ever had and gave really nice colors on my first HL Nep collection (when it was small). However, it seems almost all you can get anymore in 10K is the actinic blue bulbs. I had a 10K actinic 400W metal halide bulb that came with my ballast and I would actually describe that as "dim". I had to order the 5500K immediately. It would have been like trying to grow the plants with a blacklight.

Actually Im a fan of the 5000k to 6000k range, but Im hoping to spread out on each end of the spectrum just a little.

Here is what i was using (which performed excellent IMHO)
German Narva 5000k
narva5000k85cri.jpg

and here is what Im playing with:
German Giesemann 6000k (Made by Narva BTW)
giesemann_midday.jpg

Of course my spectrometer only tells part of the story, you cant see the energy reaching into the near UV and IR spectra

So here is a graphical representation:
giesemann_spectra.jpg

Notice the above 600nm and below 450nm performance

The Giesemann Midday is a wide spectrum with 5 Phosphor peaks instead of the typical 3. Im hoping the additional long and short wave energy will give me that little extra umpf I want. (NASA is playing with the 5 peak profile)

Bad thing is price, Ive got as much in one Giesemann as I do in the the whole case of Narva

Time will tell, if they don't do the job, they will go to my bulb reject pile in the basement and the Narvas will go back in. :scratch:

Av

Nifty! Where did you get a spectrometer? Crazy expensive?

I've been wondering about using those reptile UV bulbs over HL plant tanks would do anything as far as UV output that the plants may enjoy. One could use a desert UV bub and a tropical UV bulb for the hot and cool end UV.

Back