What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heat tolerance in temperate dews?

joossa

Aklys
Hi guys. I need some help.
How tolerant are temperate dews (particularly Drosera filiformis and Drosera intermedia) to high heat (around 100F) and low humidity?(ambient humidity-- obviously the area around the pots will have a higher humidity level due to the water trays). Does it really matter how hot it gets if they are kept well watered and are potted in large pots? Does acclimation to conditions like this greatly help, or could they still suffer under arid conditions even after proper acclimation?

Thanks for your help.

I live in a normally cold, humid region, but we do have heat waves in the 90-100F range around here. I used to live on the third floor of an apartment complex on top of a very windy hill, and so the conditions would get pretty arid occasionally. My plants never seemed to mind, but I made sure to always keep them very wet. It would appear that acclimatization isn't always necessary, as the hot/dry weather wasn't ever really the norm. I think that sundews, for the most part, benefit enough from full sun that they can resist dessication so long as there's a water source to draw from. I did notice that my plants used a lot of water during heat waves. My guess is that all the dew gives the plant tissue a local humidity buffer, but at the same time the plant still has to draw a lot of water to keep the dew from dehydrating.
~Joe

I love the really windy days and you see thin streamers of mucilage from the lamina - like hundreds of spiders have been at work...

It regularly gets over 100 here in mid-summer and nothing bad has ever happened as long as you keep up with your watering. I can't comment on low humidity, though.

If by low humidity you mean less than 30%, then D. filiformis does fine. Keep them well watered. Some people also shade the pots from direct sun to keep the soil from getting warmed up on the really hot days and "cooking" the roots. During the summer, I grow mine were they get direct sun in the early part of the day and get bright indirect light the reast of the day.

Last edited:
I agree with the others- I have no experience with D.intermedia (yet anyways, still waiting for stratified seeds to sprout so cross yer fingers) but D.filiformis can take NASTY hot temperatures- the temps got up to 39 C here last summer and the plants appeared to be loving it, tons of sun and the surface of the medium got pretty darn steamy too

The only temeprate outdoor plant that seems to have problems with too much hot sun and general heat is P.vulgaris- from what I observed, they REALLY don't like direct, full sun- all my shade-grown ones were awesome but the ones getting too much sun suffered quite a bit

I know you didn't ask about Pings but I figured it was pertinent :D

Those plants did just fine, whethet they be in an upper apartment window sill or the attic or outside, with temps that at least got into the 90's. And acclimation to the environment is an important consideration.

I keep my D. filiformis outdoors all year round and it loves it.

Back