What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone deal with US import permits for plants?

Hi folks,

I have a couple nepenthes adrianii that i have purchased and I am trying to get them into the US.

The seller in Malaysia is working on getting the proper permits, and said i will need a USDA import permit.

I am looking through the USDA permits, and I am seriously lost. I am trying to figure out which permit i need to apply for.

Here is a snippet of the email
==================================
Nepenthes are CITES protected plants.

We now waiting your Export permit (Wild Life, CITES & Phytosanitary ) which take 3 to 4 weeks for progressing by authorized department. Target earlier to ship in end August.

I will email correspondence with you before we organized shipment.

USDA Import permit
Please advise your Import permit ? Could you scan and email copy to us.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I have ordered nepenthes from overseas before and not run into any of these issues. Does anybody have any suggestions or pointers on what sort of permit I am looking for?

Last edited:
It's the seller's responsibility to provide phytosanitary certifications. A plant can't be certified without inspection, and can't enter the US legally without certification. Impossible for you to provide this. If CITES permits are required, they're on you to acquire. For 12 or fewer plants intended for your own non commercial purposes, no import permit is required by the US. If Malaysia requires an export permit I would expect the seller to know the process in their own country and deal with obtaining it.

Here is a handy PDF which explains about importing orchids to the US but Nepenthes are also CITES plants:

http://www.chaoticexotics.biz/importing.pdf

One thing is for sure, be sure the vendor properly labels your package and doesn't try to use a false customs declaration, that will get you into huge problems if the box says "toys" and there are plants inside...

Last edited:
ok... so i think i get it...

https://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php

According to that site, the following nepenthes shows up under Appendix 1.

Nepenthes khasiana
Nepenthes rajah

And the following under Appendix 2

Nepenthes spp.#4 (Except the species included in Appendix I)

(And nothing under appendix 3.)

The top of the page shows...

The abbreviation “spp.” is used to denote all species of a higher taxon.

Moving on,

another resource says.. https://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/factsheet-cites-permits-and-certificates-2013.pdf

What CITES documents are required?
 Import
The import of Appendix-I specimens
requires both import and export
permits. An import permit may be
granted when the purpose of the
import will not be detrimental to the
species’ survival, is not primarily
commercial, and the importer is
suitably equipped to house and care
for live animals and plants.
No import permit is required for
Appendix-II or -III specimens, or
for specimens that quality for other
certificates (see below).

So all Nepenthes are under Appendex 2, so in the end, all i should need is them to make sure they have their documents in order and i should be golden.

Does that sound right?

Sounds like you have it pretty well covered. To summarize and repeat ad nauseum:

Phytosanitary certificates are required - exception Small Seed lots - small seed lot permit is required.
CITES is required for Appendix I species
Import permit required if 13 or more plants.

Parcels are to be sent to an APHIS inspection center. From there they will be forwarded to you. You need to make arrangements to pick up the parcels or shipping from APHIS to you. Either include a pre-paid shipping label or an account number for one of the parcel carriers such as Fedex or UPS. If the parcel is sent via a national Postal service such as Royal Mail or SingPost then the parcel will be forwarded to you via USPS as part of the international agreements on Post Services.

Note some unscrupulous or ignorant sellers will tell you no permits are required for hobby or craft materials. This is untrue as plant material sent as craft materials must be treated or processed in a manner as to not harbor pests and to be inert (non-viable). If the plant material is to be grown than it is Plants for Planting and the previously discussed certifications and permits are required.

See also this sticky:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/136133-Getting-import-permits

In a nutshell, you will need to travel to your local USDA branch, present your ID, and be certified for level 2 clearance (the exact terms I'm using may be off). Then, you will need to obtain the permits PPQ-587 and PPQ-621. Request labels that you can then forward to the exporter so that your plants arrive at the inspection facility of your choice (listed on whatever label you request).

It's very easy, actually. Just make sure the person you're dealing with is a professional and not someone who will shirk his/her duties at garnering an official phytosanitary declaration. APHIS is very clear about what needs to be included in the shipment, such as copies of permits, phytos, scientific names of all plants, soilless media, etc..

Back