What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Hardening off" seedlings question

Hey,
I just got a bunch of drosera seedlings to germinate but I was unsure about the process mentioned by the international carnivorous plant society called "hardening off" the seedlings. First of all, why do you have to do this, and what happens if you don't do it? I have a lot of fruit flies in my house, so I was hoping that by keeping them covered I could avoid having a breedfest for fruitflies in the seedling flat.
Thanks,
Aaron

When you start seedlings off in a covered container, they get used to the higher humidity inside it. Hardening off is the simple process of getting them used to living without the cover on so they get used to the lower humidity gradually. This is done by leaving the cover open slightly and gradually increasing the size of the opening over a week or two until you can remove it entirely. If you have a fruit fly or gnat problem, the sundews will take care of them once they get a few mature leaves out. :-D

Back