What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone here do this? I know a guy who does this with a Hamata and a Jamban and he has success with it. When I say "windowsill", by the way, I mean any plant that is NOT grown in either a terrarium/chamber or a greenhouse. The particular guy I'm talking about has growlights, but he still grows his nepenthes in the open air. I need to pick his brain a bit more before I do this, but it seems to be an attractive method for a beginner.

Questions list! :-D

1. I heard from several people and read several grow guides that state that Hamata is pretty delicate with thin leaves (thus requiring higher humidity) when young, but as soon as it has pitcher sizes of about 4-6 inches, it can be grown in most any cool, highland/indoor conditions. Confirmation on this?

2. Media-- what do you all grow your Hamatas in? Standard Nepenthes mix? Does it need airier mix like Villosa?

3. Light-- T8's okay? 6500k for best coloration, I assume, again if anybody has experience with this please chime in!

4. Speed of growth-- So, this is going to be a bit hard to follow I imagine, but just try to bear with me. Would a Hamata, grown in whatever "ideal" conditions are, in a greenhouse with 90% humidity, 10-15F drop in temperature at night, grow to any SIGNIFICANT degree faster than a Hamata grown in less than ideal conditions?

So to clarify, would Hamata 1 grown in perfect conditions grow, let's say, twice as fast as Hamata 2, grown in less that ideal conditions?

Thanks for any answers! I hope I'm understandable.

As far as I'm concerned any Nepenthes attempted to be kept with improper conditions will grow slower than another in ideal conditions. There are too many variables from genetic hardiness of the certain plant to acclimation, so one guy may be able to easily accomplish this while another may not.

I've seen 2 people with astounding windowsill Hamatas. I believe 1 is the guy you're talking about with the supplemental lights; but, here is the 2nd magic windowsill for your enjoyment: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/109571-Magic-Window-amp-me

Good growing :water: & don't forget the pics if you go for it!

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned any Nepenthes attempted to be kept with improper conditions will grow slower than another in ideal conditions.

I've seen 2 people with astounding windowsill Hamatas. I believe 1 is the guy you're talking about with the supplemental lights

Thank you! I understand that improper conditions will cause the plant to grow less well, I was really simply wondering if it would be worth it to set up a cooled, humidified growing chamber.

I was talking about Alvin415 on another forum. If he is not the first guy you are talking about, I'd love to see pictures of the first guy's setup!

Again, thank you for the link to the threads. :)

Back