What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Red Hairy Hamata?

Anybody grow RHH? Some people say to give them ultra-highland temps while others say they do fine in intermediate conditions. Some say it's for experts only and some say it's one of the most vigorous plants they have. Does anybody have growing tips for this guy?

I've never heard anyone call the hairy form a vigorous or very tolerant plant; regular hamata, perhaps, but the hairy, no.

def not the easiest or most vigorous. mine is small (about an inch) and hasnt shown interest in getting any bigger in the last year under intermediate-highland conditions

I had to give mine to someone else it was doing so crummy. It wants consistently very cold at night and very high humidity. If your live sphag looks immaculate and dewy and you're bringing it down to the low 50s (or lower!) at night you should have success. It's definitely not a beginners plant, and I'd say for most it's definitely a controlled-conditions terrarium/greenhouse plant.

Thanks for the help, all of you!

I was thinking of growing them in my greenhouse, but since it likes such cool temps it might be a wise idea to put them in my heli shelves, which regularly get down to 45 in the night and have really high humidity. My only concern is that it might be too bright for them in there. I grow N. rajah and N. aristolochioides in there, and they do just fine. Based on your experience, Nepenthesl0ve, what kind of light does RHH like? My normal hamata likes more dim conditions, but since RHH is not a form of true hamata, I don't know.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, all of you!

I was thinking of growing them in my greenhouse, but since it likes such cool temps it might be a wise idea to put them in my heli shelves, which regularly get down to 45 in the night and have really high humidity. My only concern is that it might be too bright for them in there. I grow N. rajah and N. aristolochioides in there, and they do just fine. Based on your experience, Nepenthesl0ve, what kind of light does RHH like? My normal hamata likes more dim conditions, but since RHH is not a form of true hamata, I don't know.

A Heli tank would actually be perfect. My rhh's new environment is with a primarily Heli-grower.

yeah id say the RHH will be quite happy in there, maybe try adjusting it to the brighter light gradually esp if it is coming from lower light levels. also if there is a spot that is a tad less bright in the tank id start it there. all my neps are under fairly low light levels so i really cant use mine as example.

Great! Yes, I could shade it slightly by placing it under the rim of a heli in a colander (my preferred container for growing helis in). That's what I do for my rajahs since they don't like the intense light.

I had to give mine to someone else it was doing so crummy. It wants consistently very cold at night and very high humidity. If your live sphag looks immaculate and dewy and you're bringing it down to the low 50s (or lower!) at night you should have success. It's definitely not a beginners plant, and I'd say for most it's definitely a controlled-conditions terrarium/greenhouse plant.

Mine are grown, either, on a south-facing windowsill or outside; receive bright to diffused light; very high humidity; and cool to cold nights. The species, in my opinion, is about as particular and almost as slow-growing as N. villosa; grows along with them, as a matter of fact -- and are, sadly, none too forgiving . . .

Nepenthes hamata "Red Hairy" 1 March

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Thanks, BigBella!

Yours seems to be doing fantastic! That pitcher is exactly what I'm aiming for! I'm going to give this guy cold temps, high humidity, and slightly shaded conditions.

Back