What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing drosophyllum in Las Vegas.

• Thread starter Fygee
  • Start date
After a long hiatus from CP collection and care, I've decided to get back into it. I did a lot of research and across this plant, and its supposed love of dry, hot summers and non-freezing winters. I'm very intrigued about it as it appears to literally be the only CP that has a chance of growing outside here.

One thing I've learned about Vegas though is that it puts those tolerances to the ultimate test. Some things that grow in Arizona, like your traditional tall green desert cacti for example, seem to stumble here.

Has anyone attempted to grow this plant in Vegas? If so, how well did it do? Did you grow it from seed or an established plant? Were any there variances in needs and care from the general growing knowledge and instructions on them?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I know this is rather late, but do keep in mind that they live in an oceanically moerated climate, with summers that are hot but not Saharan and winters that are cool and fairly damp (but not, of course, wet). It also gets some extra water in the form of morning fog year round, and it naturally likes to grow in relatively sheltered locations. So I would say be careful about the heat, and if Vegas doesn't rain much in the winter (which it doesn't, yes?) I'd supplement its water, though of course you have to balance that against potential root rot. But other than that it seems to me you ought to treat it normally. I have no experience with the plant, however.

Last edited:
It occasionally rains in the winter, though Vegas being Vegas, rain is a rare commoditiy in general.

I have some shaded areas with a mister that may be suitable for it (where I'm very stubbornly trying to get avocado trees to grow), at least until its more established.

Ideally l'd like to buy one that's already established and used to dry conditions from the get go. Getting them to grow from seed, survive, and mature seems like it'll be tough here.

Unfortunately, you will probably not be able to acquire an adult Drosophyllum unless from a local source because root disturbance can kill them (cannot be shipped bare root) and established plants are grown in large pots making shipping difficult/expensive. There are a few CP nurseries who sell and ship seedling Drosophyllum in little peat pots so that may be the way to go. You simply plant the peat pot into the large final pot they are to spend their life in, no root disturbance that way. Below are links to some information about Drosophyllum; natural habitat and info from ICPS. An internet search will provide more "growing guide" resources.

Drosophyllum are one of the more difficult of CP’s to grow for many people, especially in climates not naturally suited for them. They are not very forgiving of mistakes. Growing them from seed is an inexpensive way to be able to experiment with what will work best in your particular conditions. I think growing them in Las Vegas is doable but it may take some time to figure out what they need in your conditions if growing them outside. They can be grown well inside under intense lighting and foliar feeding. I wish you luck in growing this wonderful species!

http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.com/Drosophyllum_lusitanicum.htm

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/index.php/grow/guides/Drosophyllum

The other thing I would worry about would be cool nights. I assumed Las Vegas, being in a desert, would have these; however, it seems that in some parts of the year nighttime lows are often 80 degrees farenheit? I imagine that given the Mediterranean origin of Drosophyllum, it should like cool-ish nights and hot days, like Cephalotus. You might want to think of a solution to this problem as well.

Thanks for the info DJ57! I looked around for some places to buy seedlings in peat pots, but alas came up empty. Currently I'm trying to grow some from seed, but the seed I purchased is over a year and a half old (which I didn't know upon ordering) so I'm not too optimistic that they'll germinate at all.

Vegas definitely doesn't have cool nights during the summer. Lows range between 80-90 during the hottest part. Temps are perfect during the spring and fall, but those are always short seasons here. My hope would be that since other Mediterranean plants here thrive (olives, pomegranetes, figs, etc.) that it might not mind the warmer nights and higher temps after acclimating to them.

I am in south Texas, and have been trying to grow them for several years. As the books all say, the hardest part is getting them out of the seedling stage. I currently have two that have been growing about half the summer, and doing pretty well.
Long term survival is anyone's guess, but I am hopeful. Most say spring flowering, though I might wish and hope that with my l o n g growing season, maybe that might go to late spring...probably not...but I can dream and postulate and speculate. From this effort and several before, I would say go with seed, plant them in the largest pot you can get 14" or 16" or larger, water about once a week, and hope for the best. Now if I could get more than one Roridula seed to sprout, and stay alive more than a month... oh, and keep pretty close to the given soil mixes for good drainage.

Last edited:
Yeah, it seems the two nurseries I know who regularly carry them for online sales are out of stock this time of year. You might have better luck in spring.

Actually, in my experience the older seed is easier/faster to germinate than fresh seed I believe due to the seed coat breaking down over time on its own. I don’t use fresh seed when I want to germinate more Drosos, instead I use my oldest seed and let the fresh seed sit on a shelf for a year or two or three. It does not matter whether you store the seed in the refrigerator or not unless you plan to store them for more than a few years. Droso seed have a long "shelf-life".

I don’t think Drosos need cooler nighttime temps to do well. Humidity does not seem to be an issue either. They do appreciate early morning or evening misting especially in the hottest parts of summer. In my conditions, seedlings can be kept as wet as you would for sarracenia for at least the first 3-4 months after germination, then you can start letting the soil get drier between waterings. If germinating the seed indoors, good air flow will help keep the seed from molding on top of the wet soil. If you cover the seed slightly with sand that also helps keep fungus/mold from killing the seeds. Like make a shallow dent in the top of the soil with your finger, drop the seed in, and then sprinkle sand lightly over the top.

Pearldriver: I have had some Drosophyllum flower from spring through summer. I am not sure what all triggers flowering, but suspect soil moisture plays some part. In the wild flowering coincides with the rainy season. Most of mine don’t start flowering until the second year of life, but I have had a few try to send up a flower stalk when still in the seedling stage. I overwinter my Drosos in my garage window and sometimes they will send up flower stalks as early as January.

Last edited:
Back