What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

greenhouse prep

uphwiz

jimmy
just thinking , would like to use my green house next year, for some highland nep.s and some other cp.s that would require the same or similar conditions, afraid to try this winter.
Just watching and learning all I can here before i give it a go.
It does just sit there from now mid December till say mid February, and at that time i use it to start some early flowers and veggies.
It is on quite a slope so i put it on a deck, it's great for ventelation, but extremely hard to heat, the north, and west walls are to fight high winter winds and hot summer sun. any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.
What to do to insulate the floor for winter? heating? Its 6ft by 8 ft, so something not too large , electric is ok by me. I do have an insulated work shop that can save me if the electric goes out.
If i catch it in time.
The work shop can easily be kept above 50, even when its 10 outside. Which we do have a time or two each winter.
DSC00546.JPG

Put some sort of wood skirting around it, then a berm of dirt mounding up against the skirting. Warmer in winter, cooler in summer.

In winter, is there enough sunlight for it to warm up during the day? If so, you could put some large vessels of water in there to store heat during the day and release it slowly at night. You could bury some water lines between the greenhouse and workshop and have barrels of water in both. If you connect one line at the bottom of the barrels, and one at the top, the temperature difference will create passive circulation. It won't warm things enough for most tropicals, but it would help protect your warm-loving temperates from extremes, and could serve as a back-up system to prevent hard freezes in the event of a power outage.
~Joe

Hey, you got the RION greenhouse. Neat! I got one myself. I like the setup you made for it.
My floor has 1/2 plywood and indoor/outdoor carpet. It's like artificial turf but thinner. I live in California though. A small heater is enough to keep things from going below 50 in the winter. If your summers are anything like mine, one of problems is going to be keeping the greenhouse cool in the summer. You might need to add shadecloth to it to keep it from overheating. Nice purchase!

thanks seedjar, you seem to always have vast knowledge on all things ,all things, whats your profession?
. don't think i have the smarts to do such an elaborate set up but great idea. i could do the large drums of water in the green house, think that would help, though they could freeze. I do get sun in the winter, but i intentionally set the greenhouse so the lower portion is shaded (meaning up to the first division of panels ) from dec to feb 15th or so,thinking i could store my north american temperates there out of sight of the sun ,but still in the green house, as not to have to cover them. It warms slightly, but needs quite a bit more in the heating department . And as of rignt now im looking for all thoughts on the subject , so more please every one.
Is there a tune that goes with the poem under your signature ,
and could you sing it on video for us . I'm sure every one would love it .
Thanks again, so much

thanks seedjar, you seem to always have vast knowledge on all things ,all things, whats your profession?

Like it says in my profile - monkey in pants.
Really, I'm a mathematician. I don't actually do anything, but my schooling makes it really easy to understand lots of stuff.

Is there a tune that goes with the poem under your signature

It's from the cartoon Home Movies - the episode is Director's Cut.
~Joe

You'r so cool brewster, you have the best sense of humor (sick), just love it.
I must wipe my eyes and change my shorts. LAUGH OUT VERY LOUD!
I'll be sure to wear my pampers before asking personal questions of you !
You've made my snowy day!

Back