What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

good soil mix for lowiio

hey guys i was wondering what would be a good soil mix using the following. This is all im able to get so nothing else.

Orchid bark
Fine to medium chunks of coconut husk
Peat
Perlite
Polystyrene
Washed sand

Thank you

Hey Kevin, with the stuff you have I would probably use 2:1:1 of coconut husk, orchid bark and perlite, even ratios of bark, coco husk, peat and perlite. The second one would probably hold water better, so I would use that if your humidity is lower. If its fairly high I would use the first mix.

The media components are less important than watering to YOUR conditions and media is!

if you can get LFS itd be great. i use fine coco husk chunks, LFS and perlite equal parts. if you have lower humidity then just use more LFS and less of the other two :)

LFS is best. You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and get it.

Kevin lives in South Africa, and has mentioned several times that he cannot get certain soil ingredients where he lives, most notably Sphagnum. There is no Lowes or Home Depot for him to go to. He listed the soil options he has available to him.
That said, I would think the coconut + perlite + bark should make an acceptable mix in approximately equal parts. I would recommend washing both the Perlite and Coconut before using, to leach out any salts and/or added nutrients. Soak overnight in very clean water, drain, and repeat at least one more time before using.

I would recomend using Peat in the mix as well (given it is sphagnum peat) to replace some of the benefits of sphagnum moss. Maybe add one part peat to the mix whimgrinder suggested.

Ive heard that peat and lowii doesnt mix. Thanx for the suggestions. The coconut husk i have now has the consistency of peat but doesnt hold water as well

Ive heard that peat and lowii doesnt mix. Thanx for the suggestions. The coconut husk i have now has the consistency of peat but doesnt hold water as well

Hmm... I've never heard anything like that. You did put it on your list ;)
Well, just do what whimgrinder said then.

Sounds like what you have is Coconut Coir instead? Not the same as chipped up husk which looks like .. uh nuggets. Coir is more like you mention.. a coarse peat.

I have not heard N. lowii as being particularly averse to peat. I think alot of people say you shouldn't use it because they heard this or that.. or have had a bad experience with it personally. Or they say it's too acidic or some other nonsense. I think the bulk of this information stems from improper use of it and that can be said for just about any potting media ingredient or blend of ingredients.

I will reitarate what Drew says...

It is more important to water properly for your conditions and potting mix.

If you water frequently with alot of water and/or conditions don't allow your mix to dry fairly quickly on it's own, you need a better drained mix. If the opposite is true then you need a mix that retains more water for a longer period. Generally this means a finer texture with ingredients that hold water better. There is no magic formula of ingredients and proportions. They must be tailored to your conditions and watering regime and only you can through experience figure out exactly what works best for you.

From my experience N. lowii does not like to be overly wet at the roots for prolonged periods. Use that as a starting point to figure out which ingredients and in what proportions will give you a mix that accomplishes that based on your watering and cultural conditions.

Tony i was thinking of experimenting with the plants. But what youre saying is true. I might try pure peat on a small lowii in a part of the gh that doesnt get much water and a more open mix for a more watered area. How does this sound to you guys pure orchid bark as a bottow layer to quickly drain water then a mix of orchid bark perlite and the coconut coir 6:4:1 ontop?

Back