What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gongora tricolor 'live oak' x self

Dave S.

NECPS President
gongoratricolorliveoak.jpg

This is a flower from an orchid that I received from my friend Josh (JBOrchidguy) in a plant trade. I am growing the plant in a basket with damp LFS. The growing temperature ranges from 70F to 80F with over 50% humidity in bright light.

There were two flowers (scented) that lasted a little more than one week.

This is my first gongora orchid.

o_O. Never in my life have I seen an orchid so elegant as that one.

nicely Done Dave! My mother plant needs to be repoted it is not blooming as well as it has in the past. Only 2 spikes all the others blasted like 3 others, One of the spikes only has 2 flowers and the other has a string of them I will take a pic tomorrow of the two flowered flower spike and the long one like yours will get when it gets larger.

Capensis gongoras are fabulous orchids. Not all smell but that one does. It was my first and by far my favorite.

Great growing Dave!

Thanks for the comment, Capensis. I agree the flower is fantastic.

Thanks again for sending the orchid already in spike, Josh. It is one of my favorite orchids now. Thanks for the compliment.

I love Gongoras, but their growth habit doesn't fit well in my house. If I had larger windows, I'd still be growing Gongoras.

I wanted to bring this post back from the dead to show I still have the same orchid that blooms every year around this time. Here are some new pictures:

zu2f.jpg

This is the spike these days in my terrarium. The glass used for the terrarium is taller than five feet. Our next NECPS meeting this month is about growing orchids with cps; something I have done for years.

xufp.jpg

Nice! Never seen that species. I have a galeata myself, but I don't think it's a Gongora anymore. Acropera now.

How did I miss THAT on Saturday ? Was it not in the cabinet ?

Good to know about the Acopera genus name now, thanks.

You missed it by one week. Yes, not in the cabinet. I cut the dead flowers off and moved it to my other terrarium. The flowers are amazing, but short-lived. I was hoping to bring it in spike to this month's NECPS meeting. I also have a, what used to G. rufescens, orchid that should bloom this summer.

Last edited:
Love Gongora! Had one for a number of years. Will have to try another one day.

How's the fragrance on that one, Dave?

Subrosa, to the best of my knowledge it is still Gongora. I know Jay's has it listed as such. Acropera is listed as a junior synonym.

The fragrance reminds me a bit of allspice and clove; it fills the room, even behind glass. I get a bunch of co-workers who stop by my office just for the fragrance. It is my favorite orchid.

If you ever get a backbulb to spare..........:grin:

Back