What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garden center finds for today

I took a drive to the Tonkadale nursery today and picked up a handful of new plants and a few for my new terrariums, here's some of the terrarium choices:

Leptinella squalida a neat little 2" leaf ferny ground cover, appears the bronze is in bright sun and the green is in shade, that's how I found them for sale anyway.

leptinellasqualida.jpg

This is simply marked "Thumbelina" but the shops large display plant is short 8-10" but develops a wide trunk and many branches but the leaves stay this 1/2" size so a neat "terrarium bonsai"
thumbellina.jpg

The shop propagates 90% of their own terrarium/"fairy garden" plants, including 4 distinct varieties of Babys Tears all simply marked "babys tears" so they've lost the exact names I guess but they are all 4 distinct. I got the smallest which also has a silvery sheen to the leaves.
babystearsmini.jpg

Here's an Oak leaf fern very similar to the harts Tongue fern 4" plant with 8" tall fertile leaves. Lots of sori already.
oakleaffern.jpg

Here's a very dark purple wandering jew used the flash to show it has some green
purplejew.jpg

Variegated small wandering jew
vaerigatedjew.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Nice plants there, I got a wondering jew about that size and type a while back, now its huge, I love it, but it dies off from the base so you usually have to trim it to encourage new sprouts.

Which one the dark purple or the variegated? Are these like Ivys where a single strand will have a mutation and carry it on it's furher growth? I'd like to propagate that all white strand that seems to be developing on the left. Most vines have to be restarted within a year inside a vivarium so no surprises. I like getting to do remodeling adding new plants / removing boring old ones on occasion anyway.

My fave find was the Leptinella, they're like fuzzy little caterpillars. They get tiny yellow flowers at some point according to my googling but they stay small like this and die in winter unless you live in zone 9+ so should be swell for the vivarium.

I *had* some very pretty wandering Jew. This was before I dyed my thumb green. It was purple, but not nearly that dark.

Neat plants! I like first two ferns. :)

Those are actually really nice foliage plants there. I'll have to get some of those when I get a more large greenhouse set up. Those will look great mixed with colorful Nepenthes.

Are you going to grow those among your nepenthes?

I like the wierd lookin fern. Makes me remember my antfern at home...

nice finds.....only interesting things ive found are some half sized phals for the house and a contorted filbert for the yard.......

Back