What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fundulopanchax gardneri

I recently got a pair of Fundulopanchax gardneri. This morning I found the female on the floor.
Does anyone have an extra female they are willing to part with?

What location? Are you subscribed to killitrader?

I could use a female or two of 'Misaje' myself for this summers breedings as my current group is mostly males.

I'm in San Diego. I used to breed nothos years ago. I lost all of them due to having to move and really hot weather at the time. I haven't been into killies since I set up my reef tank. It's been like, 6 years. I just happened to see the Fundulopanchax gardneri at a LFS so I got them and put them in my 10 gal. planted tank. I thought I would try to breed them.

I used to have a number of planted killifish tanks (before I got into CPs) and F. gardneri were the worst fish for jumping out of tanks. No matter what I did they would "dissappear" from their tanks. Thanks to my cat I never did find any dead escapees...
Aphyoseimon australe were my fave killis, so playful and crazy spawners, long life and no jumpers. Nothos are generally very pretty but so small!
I've seens some great deals on Thai killi eggs on ebay I've been thinking of getting N. eggersii red and blue varieties. Anyone know how safe it is to buy from overseas egg shippers - I don't wanna end up wth a $10,000 fine for $12 worth of eggs...

If you're interested in buying one (or some) online, check out Aquabid.com. There are loads of gardneri on there. :)

swords - I've never heard of a problem with buying killi eggs from overseas. It's a pretty common practice. Just get them from a reputable dealer, and you should be fine (no pun intended)!

Thanks for the info Julie. I'm just extra cautious anymore after one of the forum guys here got nabbed by the feds cos of an ebay Nepenthes deal. He got socked with a crazy huge fine for two sanguinea plants shipped from asia without documents, Though he had an import permit. The shipper wrote "toys" or something like that on the customs sheet so then it was considered plant smuggling when customs decided to see what his box contained. Perhaps killi eggs are different, so long they're declared and I'm not importing any devils hole pupfish kilies...!

Wow, Aquabid is still around? Been a long time snce I've seen that name, I've gotta go see what's on there these days...

edit: Wow, Aquabid is huge now! I remember when it was all on just one page or so!

I used to keep killies many years ago, and gardneri were always a favorite for their colors. A local pet shop just got some in, mostly males but ONE decent female. I could not resist buying a pair of them and hopefully getting them going again. They are in a 10-gallon with a couple small, peaceful fish which I will remove.

Back