What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Friends came to visit....

As I mentioned up here, I don't feed 'beneficial' insects to my CPs (at least not deliberately) and, in fact, I have gardens planted to help increase their numbers. Around 10 years ago (give or take a few), we built a deck and a pergola overhead - off our kitchen. One of the vines I planted to grow over the pergola was a pipevine species (Aristolochia), chosen specifically because it is the foodplant for Pipevine swallowtails. While these butterflies are fairly common in the south, up here in NJ, they are very localized due to the fact that pipevine is not common. About 3-4 years ago, we had our 1st group of caterpillars and this year we've had our 2nd. Unlike the 1st year, when we had more than 25, this year I've only located 4 caterpillars. They all 'disappeared' 2 days ago, so I suspect that there are four chrysalis somewhere nearby.

Being shy...
PipevinecaterpillarRS.jpg

Looking around ...
Pipevinecaterpillar1RS.jpg

Again, I know it's a very anthropocentric view, but this guy got a little shove when the picture-taking was complete .... (and I didn't even feel bad) :-))
Wasp-hamata1RS.jpg

Can't wait to see some butterfly pictures when those cocoons open. Beautiful hamata by the way :)

I love bugs, but hate wasps and red ants.

OMG most amazing and terrifying pic ever...hamata & wasp. I just had a heart attack from that :cry:

Can't wait to see some butterfly pictures when those cocoons open. Beautiful hamata by the way :)
Being this late in the summer, they may not emerge until next spring. ??? Either way, I'm not likely to get any pics ... while my little point & shoot can work ok for 'calm' butterflies that don't move a lot and allow me to get close, Pipevine swallowtails are neither. They almost never stop their fluttering, move around quickly from bloom to bloom and don't allow close approaches (typically). Maybe when I get a DSLR with the 100mm macro.... :-O

Otoh, hairstreaks tend to be very accommodating, even for my little camer in macro mode. Here's a Red-banded hairstreak from a while back...
BflyRedbanded081406RS.png

This guy is a bit larger than my thumbnail ...

Fantastic!

We have an all black butterfly in the woods behind my condo that shimmers midnight blue when the light hits it just right. I've tried several times and can never get a good pic of them, they always travel in groups of half a dozen or so and seem to never stop moving.

Back