What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free D. spatulata!

CorneliusSchrute

A leuco by any other name would still be as glutto
I would like to give three seed grown Drosera spatulata to someone in the community (three plants for one person). I will pay shipping. Consider this a small token of thanks, TFers.

Seeing as how I am an English teacher by profession, the first person to explain the proper usage of the pronoun WHOM will receive the plants. Hard mode: NO GOOGLE. Like I tell my students, be honest in your work here, kiddies.

Here is a picture to entice you.

Whom is the form of who when it is the subject...I'm pretty sure.

How would you really be able to tell if we googled it or not? I mean, we could just look up an explanation and reword it to our own speech pattern.

How would you really be able to tell if we googled it or not? I mean, we could just look up an explanation and reword it to our own speech pattern.

He's going on the honor system. So don't lie.
One could be a jerk and lie, but karma will catch up with them!

Reg is close, but not quite right.

...and the honor system it is! We're all honorable here, right?!?! ;)

What a great give away I'm terrible with English lol I'm not even going to try but some one will get it

I believe whom is a possesive form of the subject "who" so it is used to show possesion

reg got it flip flopped, Whom is used when it isn't the subject of the sentence, and Who is used in cases where it is. If it is directly followed by a verb, I'd say that makes "who" generally a safe bet.

I remember subject of the sentence from School House Rock XD

Mr. Morton is the subject of the sentence, and whatever it says, he does. They still show those videos even as far up as Middle School.

I believe 'whom' is used as the object of a prepositional phrase in place of 'who'. But maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
PyschoSarah and Plant Planter are both right, though Sarah was a bit more encompassing in her description. For a subject use who, for any object (direct, indirect, prepositional, etc.) use whom. Who usually gets the job done. And really, isn't this just a silly nit-picky rule after all? Why can't we just hurry up with the Orwellian Newspeak already?!? #GrammarLiteratureAllusion

Since Sarah said it first she wins. Thanks for playing, kiddies!

Back