What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free D. paradoxa seed

I have several packs of D. paradoxa seed available from this fall's harvest. I've tested it and almost 100% germinated (see photo). Based on this, I'll probably include only 10-15 seeds in each packet (so there is more to go around).

The usual way of giving something away here is based on being one of the 1st to respond. While this is obviously the easiest way for the donator and for the people who live in the forums, it strikes me that this may not be the best criteria from which to choose who gets seed.

If interested in receiving some of this seed, drop me an email @ RL7836@earthlink.net with why I should send you some.

For those who feel I should give to the ICPS seedbank - I agree. I'm a regular donator there. They got the 1st 8 packs of this seed but it doesn't appear that any made it out to the public...

Some quick guidelines:
- Don't waste space by posting to the forum to tell me I have a PM or email
- Put the words "Free Seed" in the title of the email
- Include your name & mailing address in the email
- I'll pay postage
- I probably will not even start to read the responses before next Saturday (1/21) - so take your time...
- I will post any updates in the CPUK & Terra Trading forums (ie: seed sent, offer complete, etc)
- USA has preference but I will consider international
- No sales considered
- Don't bother responding if:
- you're new to growing CP (one year or less)
- you cannot follow directions (ie: in this post)
smile_m_32.gif

Babies from the germination test... (Remember - I'm not giving away these plants now, I'm giving away the seed to grow them).
Dparadoxaseedlings011306RS.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For those who feel I should give to the ICPS seedbank - I agree. I'm a regular donator there. They got the 1st 8 packs of this seed but it doesn't appear that any made it out to the public...
After looking at what I wrote here, I figured I should clarify my intent. The ICPS seedbank [John B.] sometimes holds some of the 'better' seed to give to the people who are large donators of seed to the seedbank. This is a fair incentive to help people give seed.

I didn't mean to imply at all that John was doing something unethical. This is one of their policies and one I support. I just meant to say that none of the D. paradoxa seed I donated made it on to the published seed list where the general public could choose it.

Beautiful, Ron! Does holding my breath til I turn blue count? LOL!

smile_h_32.gif
Tracey wipes tears from eyes, i just now noticed where you stated "- Don't bother responding if:
- you're new to growing CP (one year or less)"

Boooo Hooooo..
smile_h_32.gif

None the less very very beautiful dews Ron...
smile.gif

Those are beautiful plants Ron.
smile.gif
Thank you for your offer. Most generous!

Well done Ron!
smile.gif

I'm very pleased to see that you have recieved viable seed from your D. paradoxa plants, and that you are posting to give away these seeds at a variety of sources (ICPS Listserve, PFT Forum, ICPS seedbank).

One day (many years from now
smile_l_32.gif
) when two distinct clones of my D. paradoxa bloom at the same time, I'll be able to send away seed as well. Great work!!

-Homer

I want to thank everyone who requested seed for their interest and enthusiasm. This offer is now closed and seed on it's way (18 packets to people in 6 countries)...

Many thanks to all of the people who made requests (more than 50 at last count).

For anyone who is interested in why they may not have been chosen (in the spirit of feedback for the future):

- In general, not following directions. Examples include:
- providing no reason to send you any seeds "Hey, I want some of those cool seeds - here's my addy..."
- providing wonderful reasons but no address ... (lots without any address)
- little to no experience w/ CP (given the relative dearth of D. paradoxa seeds out there, there would seem to be lots of other species from which to learn)

In addition, there were plenty of qualified people who provided all the info requested.

A number of people asked what criteria I used to select who gets seeds. Although it was not easy by any means, I attempted to select people who had the highest liklihood of contributing to the body of knowledge of plants in this complex and sharing future plants/seeds with others.

My apologies for not responding individually to almost anyone.... Every time I do one of these giveaways, I'm amazed at how much time it actually takes... I will try to get out an email to those who will be receiving seed... (email sent - if you didn't get an email then you won't be getting seed - sorry).

Ron, Thank you for the D. paradoxa seeds, which I received today in Honolulu. They were sent with such care that it almost seemed a shame to open up the packet. I’ve admired D. paradoxa for a long time. From what I’ve read, it should grow in this climate. Thanks again for your generosity.

Back