What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found some baby birds

Well, just like Trapper, we found some baby animals in our house. My mom was complaining of a loud squeaking sound coming from a corner in the attic, since she has an office up there. She got me and my dad to find out what it was, and it was a lil nest of baby birds inside the exhaust pipe of my bathroom fan.

So, I pulled out an old nest that I had in a drawer and popped 'em in there and then put that into a little plastic bowl. Then, we put them in a window in my room that is relatively close to the old nest spot. Our largest concern was of course whether or not the parents would find them, since they're so small. But, within an hour or two, the parents found them and are now regularly feeding them. They sure are loud!

Here they are:
DSCN6732.jpg

I think they're sparrows or something. The male has a black mask, but the female doesn't.

I guess I'll keep ya updated.

-Ben

That is really cool. I never would have guessed that the parents would continue feeding them after the move. Live and learn.

Yeah my dad didn't think so either. He's like "they can either die slow or fast." :0o:

Anyways does anyone know if they'll shut up at night? They're still going now...

-Ben

If they're asleep then they should be quiet. My birds make a ton of noise in the day but they're very calm at night.

Well for one my mom was getting really annoyed with their peeping while she worked in her office, and two the nest was clogging the airflow from my shower fan, since they were kind of living in the tube that goes into the fan in the attic. Maybe those aren't good enough reasons to move them, but they were moved and are pretty much fine now.

My dad would have wanted to kill them so I think there's really no problem now.

-Ben

I think it's great that you wanted to try to save them and that your parents let you try. Did they quiet down last night? I'm sure they kept yoy from oversleeping this morning.

They took a lil while to go to sleep; they were still peeping around midnight...

But I got maybe 7 hours of sleep, mostly just because they did end up waking up around 7 or so.

Do the parents sleep somewhere else? I don't think they came to sleep with the babies last night.

-Ben

Awww they're cute. Don't they usually squeek like that when they're hungry? Have you seen the parents actually feeding them? I hope they make it, they sure are cute!

They are so cute!!!! I wish I can had birds again, they got eaten by cats:censor:

Well for one my mom was getting really annoyed with their peeping while she worked in her office, and two the nest was clogging the airflow from my shower fan, since they were kind of living in the tube that goes into the fan in the attic. Maybe those aren't good enough reasons to move them, but they were moved and are pretty much fine now.

My dad would have wanted to kill them so I think there's really no problem now.

-Ben

lame!

No, IMO those arent good enough reasons..
so they were willing to kill innocent birds just so they wouldnt have to be inconvenienced by a bit of peeping for a few days..
thats the lamest most pathetic thing ive ever heard..

Scot

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww they're cute. Don't they usually squeek like that when they're hungry? Have you seen the parents actually feeding them? I hope they make it, they sure are cute!

Yup they tend to make a quiet whistling sound most of the time, and then when the parents come they go crazy and make really loud noises. And yup I have seen both parents come onto the nest and put food down their mouths.

No, IMO those arent good enough reasons..
so they were willing to kill innocent birds just so they wouldnt have to be inconvenienced by a bit of peeping for a few days..
thats the lamest most pathetic thing ive ever heard..

I realize that; however, I can't really do anything about that; sure they're terrible people, but now the birds are out so I have to do something with them. Or I could just leave them in a bush, that could work too. It was just that the window was the first thing that came to mind.

-Ben

I probably wouldn't have moved them but it worked out for the birds so all is well. :bigthumpup: Nice job with the old nest.

That's good to hear :) I'm glad they're doing well.

I found baby birds about 1 or 2 months ago. It´s incredible how fast they grow.

Birds build nests in my bathroom vent every year. I just deal with it. One year I did put some wire in the vent from the outside but apparently it either fell out or they just get by it. I don't like it but I'm not going remove the nest when its active.

I'm glad the moving didn't stop the parents from caring for the babies.

Well they left the nest a few days ago and are now hopping around some nearby trees.

-Ben

Awww how cute! Way to go little birdies! :boogie:

They're robins, we have them in our hanging baket petunias(but not this year :-()

No, these birds are not robins. Robins are much larger and the males have bright red chests. The parents of these are small and the male has a dark black mask.

-Ben

Back