What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Formosa Betrayed

Hi guys, I'll apologize in advance for the long post

I'm not sure how much you know about the history of Taiwan, but there is a movie about to be released that depicts a very dark period of Taiwanese history that is still somewhat taboo in Taiwan and unknown elsewhere. Called Formosa Betrayed and directed by Adam Kane of Heroes fame, it is a political thriller about the conspiracies and hidden agendas between the governments of the U.S., China, and Taiwan. I'm sure you know about the struggles of Tibet, but there was another, very little known fight for democracy that took place in Taiwan.

This is the first time that a film on this topic has become a major Hollywood release. It is also one of few films with an Asian- American actor playing a major non-stereotyped role. As it's an independent film, I am trying to get as many people as I can to watch it and support it for wider release. It will be released on February 26 in the Bay Area, Los Angeles, New York, and Boston, followed by wider release elsewhere if revenues are good enough in those areas.

Now for a brief history lesson. Taiwan (historically called Formosa) is an island off the coast of China. It was under Japanese rule for over fifty years until the end of WWII, when Japan surrendered the island to the U.N. The island was placed under the Nationalist Chinese Government. As the Nationalists began losing the war to the Communists in China, the Nationalist shifted its government to Taiwan. They brought with them millions of refugees and soldiers. Once on Taiwan, they proceeded to eliminate the local government and replace it with their own. The native Taiwanese eventually revolted, which culminated in a massacre of over 10,000 people and martial law and totalitarian government for over 40 years. As international interest shifted over to Mainland China, the struggle for freedom and democracy of the Taiwanese faded out of general knowledge.

The film is based off of a bunch of real events, though the main story is fictional. My family lived through many of the events depicted in the film, and it is almost unreal that the story of the struggle can finally be told. Though the movie takes place during the Cold War, the consequences of the events are still impacting the lives of the Taiwanese people and also U.S.-China relations.

Again, sorry for the long post, but this is the first time that people can learn about one tragic period in human history that many do not know about. If you are interested, please help support an independent film company and help spread the story of the countless lives lost in order for 23 million people to enjoy the freedom and democracy that we to here in America.

Here's the link with release dates in various cities and more info: http://www.formosathemovie.com/

Thanks Naruwan,
I will look for this movie!

I always thought the Taiwan story was mostly similar to Tibet..namely "a small independant nation taken over by China"..
but from your post, it seems there are *three* entities involved in the "20th century to today" Taiwan story?

1. The original, native Taiwanese people.
2. The Nationalist Chinese, who took over Taiwan after WWII.
3. Communist China, on the mainland.

Is that correct? (also Japan is in the mix, obviously)

So who are the native Taiwanese people then?
what is their history?
Do they consider themselves "non communist" Chinese?
were they an independant people up until the Japanese control of the early 20th century?

you are right, many people know about Tibet, but almost no one (in the West) knows the full story on Taiwan..
thanks for educating us!

Scot

You're welcome.

I guess "native" Taiwanese was a poor choice of words on my part, because it can refer to the aboriginal Taiwanese as well as the Chinese immigrants that arrived between the 16th and 19th centuries that are now the majority group. Native in the context of my post refers to both groups, even though culturally, they are very different. However, both groups were nearly equal under Japanese rule. When the government changed, the aboriginal people were moved to the bottom of the social ladder.

Most Taiwanese people would consider themselves to be Chinese culturally, but their views on Chinese government can be very different. I guess the closest analogy would be between Americans/Canadians of predominately English descent and their views of the British, i.e. very similar as people, but not quite the same.

Taiwan was under Dutch rule until the mid 17th century, then a Chinese general took over and established an independent kingdom. That lasted for about a decade, then the Qing dynasty took over and ruled until it was defeated by Japan.

I know that this topic may be a little too historical and political for a carnivorous plant forum, but the more people know about history, the less likely we are to repeat it.

What a coincidence... I'm taiwanese!

Thanks Naruwan, interesting story..
personally I dont think enough people in the West pay enough attention to what China is doing..
most Americans just dont care, and continue happily shopping at Walmart, allowing China to quietly take over the world..

I know that this topic may be a little too historical and political for a carnivorous plant forum, but the more people know about history, the less likely we are to repeat it.

not at all!
in fact, its WAY more interesting than the majority of the pointless debates we have on American politics! ;)

Scot

Back