What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first orchid

ok i just bought an orchid for my girlfriend. its a oncidium colmanara wildcat "rainbow", i was wondering if anyone had a picture of what the flowers look like, and also i was wondering about basic care for this type as it didnt come with a care tag, i would also like to know what medium i can repot it into as i would like to do that asap. thanks

i cant find that specific type but if you dont include rainbow you can find several wildcat varieties just to give a hint on what they look like.
alex

Glider has it correct.  There is a bunch of different siblings out there from the wildcat cross.  And BTW its no longer a calmanara.  Here is a quote from a grower on aother site.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Good news! Colmanara Wildcat is no longer a Colmanara! It is now an Odontocidium (Odcdm). Why?? Well, what used to be the Miltonidium Rustic Bridge parent is now an Oncidium because the Miltonia warczewiczii grandparent is now Oncidium fuscatum.....so there's no Miltonia on the parentage....so it is now Odontocidium until William Shaw from the RHS decides to eliminate the Odontoglossums from the face of the Earth ( which is in his plans ) placing them into other genera!Then it will get really interesting!

So....now we have Odontocidium Wildcat.

The difference in the hybrid result is exactly because it is a hybrid. As Candace said, the children in a family are all different, although they come from the same parents, and if the parents are of different races,( as in different genera ) then you will have still more different children!

The clonal names `Bobcat',`Carmela', etc are given to meristems made from different "children" to identify them.
It seems that they reclassified one of its parents removing one of the parents needed to make colmanara. So now the most famous Comanara is now an Odontocidium.  Don't you love it when someone decides to reclassify something and we have a bunch of hybrids made from it?

BTW NUFAN you will like the flowers on that one. I will have to post a icture on my wildcat 'Ocelot'. It will not lok the same, but could give yo an idea. Frm the sound of the name it has alot of color and should be intertesting. They take fairly high light no dirrect though. Mine grown in a GH covered in 50% shade cloth. Its in spike now with 2 spikes. Alot of flowers from my guy. They like to be watered regularly, but can stand going dry between watering. I had mine growing in a slat basket with sphagnum moss, but it stayed too dry. Still bloomedfine, but I was ALWAYS watering it. Its now in a plastic pot with holes in the bottom and shultz orchid mix. I don;t recomend the mix, but I bought like 6 bags of it so I;m using it up. It seems to like it fine. Its re-establishing itself while produsing for 2 spikes. The only thing about mine is when you think your putting some size into the plant some of the old Pbulbs die off. So even though it has large Pbulbs its accualy a small plant only having like 4 pbulbs. If I could only get 2 growth points to start growing I might be able to get some size on this guy. I thought I did it, but one of the eyes stalled and is still stalled. Maybe after flowering. Good luck.

cool thanks for the info, i just bought some schultz potting bark im gonna add a little perlite to, should i go ahead and add a little charcoal to?

No need really unless you want to. The charcoal just soaks up and holds minerals and fertlizer salts that do not get leached out of the pot when you water with just normal water. I don;t add any extra to my prebought mixxes. If your going to teh butt perlite I would add the large bits not the small stuff you buy from lowes or what not. The larger pieces sometimes goes by sponge rock. The small stuff I don't think will do much in the shultz mix. Put some packing peanuts on the bottom of the pot to allow for better drainage, and the straight shultz should be fine. Thats what mine is in and its re-establishing itself nicely. I just looked at it today.

Back