What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Final backyard bog decision time!

Hello,
OK, I met with the landscaper today, and am putting in a couple pond-liner-style bogs in the back yard. My option is to have them undrained and water with R/O water by hand, or have them drain and use our tap water. I've tds-tested our water and it's 110ppm. This is borderline, which is why I'd drain it (to avoid mineral buildup) if I went this route. If I go with the drained-bog/tap water route, I could automate it so it comes on a few times a day so it's always refreshing the water.

Does anyone have experience using tap water in this way? Is this viable?

Capslock

sounds great! the only thing with tap water is that you should rinse the bog with pure water every once in a while.
good luck
alex

Caps, when I lived in the SF Bay Area I used tap water on all my CPs with no problems. My concern now is that the SFPUC switched from free chlorine to chloramine in Feb 2004. EBMUD switched in Feb 1998. Unlike chlorine, chloramines do not rapidly dissipate on standing. Chloramine is certainly toxic to fish and amphibians at levels used in the drinking water. Because of chloramine, the Japanese Gardens in GG Park no longer have their wonderful koi. Chloramines react with certain types of rubber hoses and gaskets. What effect might chloramine have on CPs? This might be an interesting topic of discussion at the BACP meeting.

Back