What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fertilizing Seeds

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I've read two things... Seeds are extremely sensitive and should not be fertilized, and fertilizing seeds can help them... What's the deal with this? I have MaxSea fertilizer and I mix 3/4tsp with a gallon of water (a bit less than that proportion because I had to calculate that into my 22oz spray bottle) and it turns the water a muddy color. I just sprayed it on my neps for the first time. It was recommended to me by a popular expert CP grower, who said that they tested it on CP's and that's the highest you can go without causing issues... Plus, it actually doesn't kill sphag -- it speeds up the growth tremendously! So anyway, just curious if I will be able to use MaxSea on my seeds. I sowed them yesterday. :blush:

If I can't use it at this point, when should I start using it at? And is my 3/4tsp per gallon ratio okay? It recommends like a few tablespoons on the bottle for houseplants. I'm doing foliar fertilizing only, but I would assume that some would get down to the roots, but it won't be directly applied to the roots. Just misted on the plants.

would not be loading the environment with nutrients just yet. will encourage moss and algae growth. they will make things really annoying for caring for the seedlings later

I use Physan 20...dont know what it does because I just started Nepenthes seed growing but it doesn't harm my other plants one bit...

When would you recommend fertilizing? The moss is dried, really crappy stuff -- MosserLee. I've had tons of this stuff very moist outside in my greenhouse for almost two months and still nothing is springing to life, so I don't think that will be an issue. Is it common that algae would grow if none was introduced? If it wouldn't cause more harm than good, I will give them a good misting with the fertilizer and then let them be until they germinate.

Is 70% humidity okay for daytime for the seeds? I have 85F in there all day and 60F at night with higher humidity, probably around 90%. It's just bugging me because I drenched the sphagnum to get the humidity up and it just won't go up above 70%! ???

Why not ask the same "popular expert CP grower" who recommended it?

I would suggest waiting until there are leaves or roots or something that can absorb & use the ferts!

would not be loading the environment with nutrients just yet. will encourage moss and algae growth. they will make things really annoying for caring for the seedlings later

This is the advice

Why not ask the same "popular expert CP grower" who recommended it?

I would suggest waiting until there are leaves or roots or something that can absorb & use the ferts!

that I would take.

Back