What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Female Nepenthes hamata

I have a female N. hamata about to flower and so far I have had no luck finding a male in the community. I don't suppose anyone here has pollen available?
img_7967.jpg

One male inflorescence could turn that into (potentially) a flower stalk worth quite a few zeros.

One male inflorescence could turn that into (potentially) a flower stalk worth quite a few zeros.

Sadly, it appears that won't likely happen - nobody has pollen available. Such a shame, and frustrating since I know my other Wistuba hamata is almost certainly a male.

Dang Paul :/ I hope you find pollen before its too late!

That's exciting, I hope you can find some species pollen. Or even a primary hamata hybrid pollen would be almost as awesome. Good luck.

Sadly, it appears that won't likely happen - nobody has pollen available. Such a shame, and frustrating since I know my other Wistuba hamata is almost certainly a male.

All 4 AW clones are confirmed males as well as the MT clone and the BE #3380 clone. There are enough of all of those around that I would think that someone must have a mature one blooming. Trouble is finding them I guess....... Good luck, this will be amazing if it works out.

Johnny, according to Wistuba, clone 2 is actually female.

Last edited:
All 4 AW clones are confirmed males as well as the MT clone and the BE #3380 clone. There are enough of all of those around that I would think that someone must have a mature one blooming. Trouble is finding them I guess....... Good luck, this will be amazing if it works out.

Actually, I got this plant from Ron who assured me it IS one of the Wistuba plants.

Good to know. 1st I've heard of any of them being female. Anyone flower out one of those BE #3495's yet ?

Actually, I got this plant from Ron who assured me it IS one of the Wistuba plants.
Yup. Quite shocking to find out that my 6-10 growth point N. hamata tangle is a confirmed female. Who knew? :scratch:

Last edited:

Yup. Quite shocking to find out that my 6-10 growth point N. hamata tangle is a confirmed female. Who knew? :scratch:

SHE knew!

Hope you find one, but what're your plans if you can't find a male?

Hope you find one, but what're your plans if you can't find a male?

There are no plans. I'm uninterested in making yet another mediocre hamata hybrid. There are plenty of those already.

awww, that sucks......hope someone has one, my n. truncata stripped lip is just thinking about to flower I would love to make a yet another mediocre hamata hybrid. Or any thing interesting to cross.

I see no point in doing a remake of Predator, but that's just my opinion.

This is a serious case of that "so close, but yet so far" feeling.

I see no point in doing a remake of Predator, but that's just my opinion.
Ahhh - but that's the one opinion that matters. 8^)

Although it's not like pollen from these species is available very often, I'd love to see N. hamata paired with some of the other true toothies - like N. villosa or edwardsiana. While I know very little about genomics, these crosses may tell us something about how closely they are related ...

This is a serious case of that "so close, but yet so far" feeling.
Yes but with Paul's conditions, I suspect another opportunity will come along in the not-too-distant future.

Hey Paul, can i make a plea on Facebook for pollen for you or has this already been done? there are a lot of growers there that dont frequent the forums.

Hey Paul, can i make a plea on Facebook for pollen for you or has this already been done? there are a lot of growers there that dont frequent the forums.

I don't participate in Facebook, so no - the quest for pollen has not gone out to that particular branch of social media. You can pursue that if you wish - I'm indifferent. (But thanks to you should it result in success)

Something else to consider is that there have been very few hybrids done where hamata is the female parent. Reversing a cross such as ventricosa x hamata, for example, could give valuable insight into what differences there are between having the hamata being the male or female parent. Who knows the results could even be more than "mediocre". At any rate, any sort of hamata hybrid would translate into a boat-load of cash for you.

It is your plant, however, so you are inclined to do as you wish with it.

Back