What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ebay listing

may be ? i sure hope not:censor:

People have bogs in their backyards.

yeah, totally looks like a wild plant..
the dead giveaway is that the rhizome was clearly buried very deep..
much deeper than any hobbiest grows them.
I have seen them growing that way in local NY state bogs..an older plant can have a very deep rhizome, as the healthy spagnum continually grows upward, and the pitchers have to reach quite a long way to make it to the surface..sometimes just the pitcher opening is peeking above the spagnum..
quite a different growing habit than the way we normally grow them in captivity.

but..even though it sucks, if the seller owns the land, its probably not an endangered plant in Maine.
so its (probably) legal to collect and sell them, in this case.

(I tried googling for endangered plants of Maine..couldnt find anything definitive on the purp)

Scot

Why not use the "Ask the seller a question" button and find out?

Who is to say? I have some Sarracenia that size and certainly not from poaching . . .

I think the giveaway is the pricing. Small for 1.99- I can't think of a single grower that actually grows those and would sell them so low.
And the fact that they look like they just got ripped out of a bog.
Anyone else would photograph nicely potted plants, not "lookie what i just dug up!"

Last edited:
Years back when TF was owned by a guy named Phil they had a Sarracenia sale and I scored about 30 various plants at $1 each they were young plants with pitchers under a foot tall but best price ever! LOL

Most plants I get by mail come bare rooted or wrapped in moss.

Chances are he just needed to move the plants.
And yeah, plants are usually sent bare-rooted but it's just, who the hell takes a picture like that, is my point. Like unpot it just to take a picture.

I just. That's not...that's not a hobbyists plant. At all.

For Christ's sake he even uses the word "Fresh" to describe it. As in, Fresh from the bog >.<

to me, it looks like a wild plant. like scotty said, you rarely see rhizomes like that in cultivated plants. also, the insect damage looks very much like what I see on wild purps here in WI. i'm not trying to get this guy in trouble or anything. he very well could own the property these are from, whether it be a natural bog or just cultivated. i was just curious as to what others thought.

I'm not usually quick to judge, but even in my limited experience those just look too fresh to be cultivated. I could be wrong but thats just my opinion ???

The guy even says they're fresh. First thing.
If he was smart, he wouldn't advertise them as being vigorous because newb-fail growers will cry when they kill it because it's a wild plant that just got ripped up anyway.

Back