What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera sargentii starting to flower

Hi,

My Dr. sargentii is just starting to flower, now I'm wondering, do the flowers weaken the plant and should I cut them of ? Or can I just let them grow.
I'm going for the safe options cause i don't have a lot of them, but i would like to see some flowers though...

Oh yeah, just an other question: how to I get these things dormant ? I've givin the less water, but still enough so they don't dry out, bet they just don't go dormant even in this burning sun... Same for echinoblastus...

I would probably cut off at least some of the flowers, and let some bloom as well. That way you maximize your chances of bringing them through dormancy.

As to forcing dormancy, my advise is don't. Let the plants grow as long as they are willing, but be attentive! Once the center stipules begin to lengthen and trap production slows and ceases then watering becomes a concern. Dormant plants should be watered sparingly, allowing the top of the mix to remain barely damp, and good air circulation is a must. I found the summer sensitive species fared better indoors under flourescent light with a fan running vs outdoors in the harsh summer conditions. It also allowed me to observe the plants more closely.

Best of luck with your Drosera sargentii, it is a very beautiful pygmy, and not too hard to bring over the summer.

thanks

I'll just let my plants go into dormancy by themselves, unfortunatly putting the plants indoors won't be an option for me.

Back